Acceptance Withdrawl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JTubule1386

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I call, write a letter, or send and e-mail to withdraw my acceptance, or would either be acceptable? I'm just wanna know what's the most common method. I don't want to mail a letter if I don't have to.
 
Should I call, write a letter, or send and e-mail to withdraw my acceptance, or would either be acceptable? I'm just wanna know what's the most common method. I don't want to mail a letter if I don't have to.

I think email is fine for most schools - that's what I did with my withdrawals. I'm sure calling would be also be fine. They'll be glad to know your decision so that they can move on.
 
I think an email if fine, but some schools require a formal letter, so just make you sure you know the school's policy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called the schools and let them know I was withdrawing. Just make sure you do it quickly, so people on the waitlist can have their chance.
 
And if you don't follow their policy what are they going to do.......reject you? 😕

Well if you're still technically accepted at a school b/c you didn't withdraw appropriately and the school you actually want to attend couldn't both rescind their acceptances after May 15th?
 
Should I call, write a letter, or send and e-mail to withdraw my acceptance, or would either be acceptable? I'm just wanna know what's the most common method. I don't want to mail a letter if I don't have to.

AAMC Recommendations for Medical School Applicants

In fairness to other applicants, when an applicant has made a decision, prior to May 15, not to attend a medical school that has made an offer of acceptance, the applicant promptly withdraw his or her application from that (those) other school(s) by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods.
 
Well if you're still technically accepted at a school b/c you didn't withdraw appropriately and the school you actually want to attend couldn't both rescind their acceptances after May 15th?

True. You're right. And, I agree it is appropriate and courteous.

It's just funny that we pre-meds are so used to sweating details that even after our acceptance we're stressing about how to let down the other medical schools, like doing it wrong may come back to bite us. All this because we've thought about what may come back to bite us or help us for several years.

Am I the only one that thinks this is an amusing irony?

No offense, though. I am, after all, one of you. And I fit in pretty well with the neuroticism.