Acceptances from ASDOH!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lostinbul

Pray'n for a letter!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard yet? If so, how did they contact you?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got off the phone with ASDOH (I called them). They are calling people today and will be sending out letters today as well. They will not give you status if you call them.

I'm anxious to know, too. It's pretty safe to say that you can't "expect" anything. I felt I was a shoe-in for UNLV today, but found out I was not in their first "wave" of acceptances. I interviewed there twice and several things happened to lead me to believe I would be in..... Ohwell....

what is ASDOH's number you called?

Members don't see this ad :)
they called this morning entusiastically, it was Dr. Polk. what would you calling them even do?

good luck everyone

mepstein said:
they called this morning entusiastically, it was Dr. Polk. what would you calling them even do?

good luck everyone
Yeah, don't call today. Good luck to everyone and congratulations Mepstein!

BUMP! I can't believe that they are actually calling people today and only one person on SDN has heard from them! Strange?

I heard from them this morning. I'm got in. They invited me for grand rounds tomorrow Friday Dec. 2.

klfb80 said:
I heard from them this morning. I'm got in. They invited me for grand rounds tomorrow Friday Dec. 2.

What are grand rounds?

klfb80 said:

What is Grand Rounds???!! And why would they give you an invitation for tomorrow? Such a short notice. That doesn't sound right

My brother got the call early this morning from Az.

MissingPolaris said:
What is Grand Rounds???!! And why would they give you an invitation for tomorrow? Such a short notice. That doesn't sound right

I'm assuming the person who got accepted is from around here and close enough to the school to make it to Grand Rounds tomorrow. Grand Rounds are slated on Friday afternoons where we have guest speakers come and present on a variety of topics. So far, we've had some good speakers including the NYU dental school dean. Good luck for those waiting to hear from ASDOH!

Did they only call AZ residents today? I remember them telling us only 20 acceptances go out Dec 1 but we could call after 12/1 to check our status. They have sent some post-interview rejection letters according to other threads. I guess we still have a shot providing we don't receive one! :eek:

for the fourth time i am from washington and i got an acceptance phone call!

DentalNerd said:
Did they only call AZ residents today? I remember them telling us only 20 acceptances go out Dec 1 but we could call after 12/1 to check our status. They have sent some post-interview rejection letters according to other threads. I guess we still have a shot providing we don't receive one! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
mepstein said:
for the fourth time i am from washington and i got an acceptance phone call!

Congratulations on your acceptance...for the first time!

BTW...I only see 1 post from you on this thread, not 4.

DentalNerd said:
Congratulations on your acceptance...for the first time!

BTW...I only see 1 post from you on this thread, not 4.

I think he/she posted the acceptance somewhere else too. that's why he/she said fourth time.... AAHHH, I really want to hear from ASDOH!

I don't understand why they only send out 20 acceptances on Dec 1st. I understand that you don't want to overbook next years class but why not send out 54 acceptances then who ever doesn't put down money, give their acceptances to the next in line! I guess I'm just flustered because I would have loved to be one of those 20! Maybe in January I guess! And whats the deal with not just letting you know over the phone! Man, some times people just make things more difficult than they need to.

Lostinbul said:
I don't understand why they only send out 20 acceptances on Dec 1st. I understand that you don't want to overbook next years class but why not send out 54 acceptances then who ever doesn't put down money, give their acceptances to the next in line! I guess I'm just flustered because I would have loved to be one of those 20! Maybe in January I guess! And whats the deal with not just letting you know over the phone! Man, some times people just make things more difficult than they need to.

I just checked my notes. They told us to call after Jan 1 if we have an offer from another school and want to check our status with ASDOH. Otherwise, they said not to call until March.

DentalNerd said:
I just checked my notes. They told us to call after Jan 1 if we have an offer from another school and want to check our status with ASDOH. Otherwise, they said not to call until March.

I wonder if between now and January 1st they will be sending out any acceptances, or if the next wave will start in January! Waiting sucks!! :confused:

Got a call yesterday afternoon from Dr. Polk!!! He said a formal packet was mailed yesterday. By the way, I am also an out-of-stater.

leviham said:
Got a call yesterday afternoon from Dr. Polk!!! He said a formal packet was mailed yesterday. By the way, I am also an out-of-stater.

Congratulations! You are one of the very few! Just think, 20 out of 2500 (or more?)!!!!!!

Lostinbul said:
I wonder if between now and January 1st they will be sending out any acceptances, or if the next wave will start in January! Waiting sucks!! :confused:

I would think they would have to make additional offers between now and Jan 1. Those 20 applicants have 45 days to respond and only a portion will accept. At first, I thought maybe most of these are in-staters who will definitely accept, but it sounds like many could be non-residents. Now think about, these 20 are the best of the best and will most likely get multiple offers (including their state school). I don't think ASDOH wants to be left high-and-dry come mid January. I believe they truly have a "rolling" admissions process. Since they didn't try to fill their class 12/1, they can make offers at ANY time. Just speculation, of course. But this was how I understood it during my interview. They probably didn't want us to call before Jan 1 because more acceptances go out in the month of December...at least I hope!

Congratulations! See you at Grand Rounds.

JustInTime

klfb80 said:

DentalNerd said:
I would think they would have to make additional offers between now and Jan 1. Those 20 applicants have 45 days to respond and only a portion will accept. At first, I thought maybe most of these are in-staters who will definitely accept, but it sounds like many could be non-residents. Now think about, these 20 are the best of the best and will most likely get multiple offers (including their state school). I don't think ASDOH wants to be left high-and-dry come mid January. I believe they truly have a "rolling" admissions process. Since they didn't try to fill their class 12/1, they can make offers at ANY time. Just speculation, of course. But this was how I understood it during my interview. They probably didn't want us to call before Jan 1 because more acceptances go out in the month of December...at least I hope!

Here's hoping that we might still get some lovin from ASDOH! Where are you from DentalNerd? So is ASDOH your first choice?

MissingPolaris said:

On Fridays they have Grand Rounds. It's just guest speakers i.e. dentists and such. Anyway I did go and they had a guest speaker there talking about cultural diversity.

klfb80 said:
On Fridays they have Grand Rounds. It's just guest speakers i.e. dentists and such. Anyway I did go and they had a guest speaker there talking about cultural diversity.

Are Grand Rounds specifically just for Dental Students or were there other people there besides dents, and predents? Is Arizona your first choice?

So I called on Dec. 1st to ask if I was accepted, the secretary that answered had no idea what to say (like she really didn't know cause she's the secretary for the whole building, I think, which includes other specialties) so she asked my name and left. Then when she returned, she said that JOYCE HAYNIE said that statuses won't be given until March 1st. So I ask the question..... does asking your status when you shouldn't have have any detrimental effect at all to your chances,..... because she asked my name. I would think that many people called that day and that I was just one of the first, so the sec didn't know what to say. SO did my chances change at all, or do you think they remain the same. I know this is really anal retentive, but this is my third time applying and AZ is my number one choice. So I'm kind of anxious. I just wanted to get your guys' two sense.

dont sweat it!! It should have no affect on your status. I just dont understand that only two people have been accepted on Student doctor??

kew said:
So I called on Dec. 1st to ask if I was accepted, the secretary that answered had no idea what to say (like she really didn't know cause she's the secretary for the whole building, I think, which includes other specialties) so she asked my name and left. Then when she returned, she said that JOYCE HAYNIE said that statuses won't be given until March 1st. So I ask the question..... does asking your status when you shouldn't have have any detrimental effect at all to your chances,..... because she asked my name. I would think that many people called that day and that I was just one of the first, so the sec didn't know what to say. SO did my chances change at all, or do you think they remain the same. I know this is really anal retentive, but this is my third time applying and AZ is my number one choice. So I'm kind of anxious. I just wanted to get your guys' two sense.

I would say that you are just fine. It sounds like this secretary really didn't know what was going on anyway so the chances of your conversation with her affecting your status probably are pretty small. Besides......what kind of sick person rejects someone from their school based on the fact that they were very anxious to find out if they had been accepted. If that is grounds for a rejection well then maybe you don't want to go there anyway. How did Arizona end up as your number one? Is it mainly due to the fact that you're from AZ?

Surely you can't be serious. Do you really think they have a "blacklist" for all the students that call and ask for status? :rolleyes:

kew said:

Ruprick said:
Surely you can't be serious. Do you really think they have a "blacklist" for all the students that call and ask for status? :rolleyes:
I wouldn't say it's a blacklist, but it is annoying as anything when tons of people call to find out their status while the committee is busy calling those who did get in during the first wave. If you are the impatient annoying type and they associate your name with that, it might not be the best thing since being patient is a big part of our developing curriculum.

That said, don't stress KEW. You'll be fine...but don't call anymore until March or January (only if you have pending acceptances!)

Actually, most of the people who are offered acceptance at AZ come here. The reason I know that is that I was on the waiting list my first go around. #15 and by July I was still #13. That means only two people who had been offered decided to go somewhere else.

It is generally held that the best applicants apply early, but throughout the short history of ASDOH applications, they have found a lot of great applicants who apply later in the cycle. That is why they only accept about 20 at a time. By the way, my acceptance came out in like February (3rd wave I think). It stinks to wait, but at this point not hearing anything is a good thing at ASDOH. Those who hear between now and the next wave will probably get rejection letters in the mail.

Be Patient, and Good Luck! I hope to see you all here next year.

ElDienteLoco said:
but don't call anymore until March or January (only if you have pending acceptances!)

So if you do have pending acceptances when would be a good time to call?

Joyce Haynie said that if you get accepted to any other schools, then you can call ASDOH on January first and under those circumstances only will she tell you where you stand in the list of those waiting to get accepted and if you have a chance or not. She will basically tell you, "yes go ahead and take the other school, because your chances don't look good here," or "Wow, you're right there on our list of acceptances," or "you know, I don't know, you're really gonna have to ride this out cause you're right in the middle." This is what she told our class the week after yours. She said she'll try to give you the best possible answer as to what she feels your chances are at that time.
However, if you're just the regular applicant who will wet their pants if they don't find out, then go ahead and wet your pants until March 1st, then you can call and find out if you should Sh_t your pants for good reasons or for bad....forget the wetting anymore.

ring ring

"Hello"

"Hello. My name is ___ ______ from _____,_____. I was wondering if you could tell me what my status is?"

"Sure."

I don't get how this could be annoying :D

If schools are p/oed b/c they don't want you to call, then they should take the phone off the reciever. Just be short and to the point. As far as ASDOH goes, I have heard only weirdness permeate from the school, so KEW, it doesn't suprise me that that is the way they responded. What can you do? :luck:

kew said:
Joyce Haynie said that if you get accepted to any other schools, then you can call ASDOH on January first and under those circumstances only will she tell you where you stand in the list of those waiting to get accepted and if you have a chance or not. She will basically tell you, "yes go ahead and take the other school, because your chances don't look good here," or "Wow, you're right there on our list of acceptances," or "you know, I don't know, you're really gonna have to ride this out cause you're right in the middle." This is what she told our class the week after yours. She said she'll try to give you the best possible answer as to what she feels your chances are at that time.
However, if you're just the regular applicant who will wet their pants if they don't find out, then go ahead and wet your pants until March 1st, then you can call and find out if you should Sh_t your pants for good reasons or for bad....forget the wetting anymore.

Either way it sounds like I should be seriously considering purchasing adult sized huggies. Or maybe Pampers would be best. I don't remember exactly but one of those brands is prone to leaking out the leg area. Nothing would be worse than receiving an acceptance and then having it revoked due to the fact that your diaper leaked on someones shoe.

1992Corolla said:
ring ring

"Hello"

"Hello. My name is ___ ______ from _____,_____. I was wondering if you could tell me what my status is?"

"Sure."

I don't get how this could be annoying :D

If schools are p/oed b/c they don't want you to call, then they should take the phone off the reciever. Just be short and to the point. As far as ASDOH goes, I have heard only weirdness permeate from the school, so KEW, it doesn't suprise me that that is the way they responded. What can you do? :luck:

P/oed is truly not utilized as much as it should be. Bravo to you Ben. And just because ASDOH tossed Dave and his AA22, GPA 3.8+, cute lovable style, and last but not least Brains the size of.....(well I'll just let that one go) shouldn't be held against them. They were just trying to make room for the more qualified individuals such as myself. Oh wait........I'm really not more qualified than him :scared: .....Uh oh.....oh suck.....Now would be a good time to utilize that diaper I mentioned a post or two ago. :eek:

Who is Dave, is that Beestie boy?
Now, is it just me.. or these really exciting days that I just couldn't wait to come turn out to be a big long boredom spell. I mean.....the worst part is probably all the family that has been calling me asking me if I got in. Then I have to sit and explain to them that it's not just a one day thing. I made the mistake of telling everybody things like...."It's almost December 1st!!!" making them all think that that was the day it was only going to happen on. So I then find myself sitting for a half an hour explaining how a lot of students that get accepted on Dec 1st probably get accepted to multiple places and so they have to deny many schools and yahi yadi bla bla Until 5..10...30....minutes finally go by and they're like....OOHH.
You know what I should just copy and paste this to an email that I should send to my whole family just to alleviate myself from such "self-defending" efforts that make me re-live the horrible feelings of the December first that was.....then WASN'T!!!

kew said:
Who is Dave, is that Beestie boy?
Now, is it just me.. or these really exciting days that I just couldn't wait to come turn out to be a big long boredom spell. I mean.....the worst part is probably all the family that has been calling me asking me if I got in. Then I have to sit and explain to them that it's not just a one day thing. I made the mistake of telling everybody things like...."It's almost December 1st!!!" making them all think that that was the day it was only going to happen on. So I then find myself sitting for a half an hour explaining how a lot of students that get accepted on Dec 1st probably get accepted to multiple places and so they have to deny many schools and yahi yadi bla bla Until 5..10...30....minutes finally go by and they're like....OOHH.
You know what I should just copy and paste this to an email that I should send to my whole family just to alleviate myself from such "self-defending" efforts that make me re-live the horrible feelings of the December first that was.....then WASN'T!!!

You got it correct! Dave is Beestieboy! I feel ya with having to explain over and over. It really does suck. I actually have an overzelious father-in-law who is hoping that I get accepted to AZ, so much so that he already sent out an email to the whole family saying that I've already been accepted (yes he sometimes does crazy and stupid things, but overall a great fatherinlaw). Anyway now the number of individuals I have to explain things to just increased ten fold. ASDOH.........SEND THE FREAKIN LETTER......PLEASE. :smuggrin:

Lostinbul said:
You got it correct! Dave is Beestieboy! I feel ya with having to explain over and over. It really does suck. I actually have an overzelious father-in-law who is hoping that I get accepted to AZ, so much so that he already sent out an email to the whole family saying that I've already been accepted (yes he sometimes does crazy and stupid things, but overall a great fatherinlaw). Anyway now the number of individuals I have to explain things to just increased ten fold. ASDOH.........SEND THE FREAKIN LETTER......PLEASE. :smuggrin:

Maybe your father-in-law is on the admission's committee and you just don't know it!!!! :laugh: