Acceptances WITHOUT DO exposure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Polo423

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm just curious:

If you've been accepted to a DO program WITHOUT any previous exposure to a DO (volunteering, shadowing, etc.) please post here.

I'm just wondering what percentage of an entering DO class has had no real exposure to a DO prior to matriculation and thus, is exposure a major factor in considering acceptance? (I'm mainly asking this because I have interviews at DO schools and have had no DO exposure aside from studying the philosophy)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I've been accept to AZCOM and I have no DO exposure at all.

I think it could be helpful when they ask why DO, you can use your experiences to describe why. I don't think not having it hurts, but having it should help.

I was accepted to LECOM and the only DO exposure I had on my application was three hours of shadowing a DO. That was it, that is pretty minimal. It's almost nothing. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought a lot of schools required an actual DO LOR. is this not the case?
A lot of schools require a physician letter (DO or MD), most say with the preference for a DO letter. Only one school that I looked at required a DO letter specifically.

4 acceptances and 1 wl with no previous DO exposure. I think the wl might have been a byproduct of my limited exposure, but that is just speculation.

So I'm just curious:

If you've been accepted to a DO program WITHOUT any previous exposure to a DO (volunteering, shadowing, etc.) please post here.

I'm just wondering what percentage of an entering DO class has had no real exposure to a DO prior to matriculation and thus, is exposure a major factor in considering acceptance? (I'm mainly asking this because I have interviews at DO schools and have had no DO exposure aside from studying the philosophy)

It happens at our school, but be aware that DOs who interview do look at you more harshly if you haven't at least talked to a DO (at least my DO colleagues do). We do take into consideration that some areas are more DO poor than others. We've also rejected people who have no DO contact, if they're from an area that is especially DO rich, like the midwest.

No DO letter, hadn't shadowed a DO. Course, I live in the south which apparently is more DO-phobic than other parts of the country.

Finishing 1st term at GA-PCOM tomorrow, what what!

hmm.

Those were my thoughts exactly. Out east, we do have DOs but its seems that they are all so busy they don't hand out opportunities to shadow to help people like us out. :rolleyes: As I prep my application, I keep thinking, how "CRUCIAL" is this DO LOR when all the DOs are too busy to give us the chance. I'm still trying but I am hoping that one of them from AOA is down.

Accepted to DMU, ATSU-SOMA, and TUCOM-NV with no DO exposure. I read a book instead.

What is the title/name of the book? Would you mind sharing it? thanks

Probably "The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America" by Gevitz. That's the one I read anyway. It's definitely a good read if you want to learn more about osteopathic medicine.

I got into the NSUCOM BS/DO without any. I don't feel like there is a substantial difference between shadowing a MD or DO as most DOs don't use OMM in regular practice with any frequency.

Just to chime in, I thought shadowing a DO would really show me how different DOs treat their patients but yea...there's nothing different, even the DO I shadow said that and every DO I've talked to.
The best part is they ask you at interview "do you see any difference?" It's like you're forced to lie. geeez.

You don't have to lie.

I was accepted at TCOM with no previous DO exposure. It was also the only DO school I applied to.

Got into UMDNJSOM with no DO Exposure persay. My cousin just graduated from PCOM so that may count and I mentioned him a little bit in my interview but i'm not sure if that even counts as exposure.

I thought Touro-Ny definitely requires a letter from DO?? (as it says on the website)

I do know that for PCOM, the letter is recommended not mandatory.