Accepted applicants not turning down schools when they make a decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I bet your friends love you for this. I know I love it when some busybody prick sticks his nose into my **** and then tells me what a bad person I am for not handling it the way that he would...

Sheesh...MYOB, dude. Your "friends" are playing by the rules set forth by AMCAS et al.

This application process is already quite stressful, for applicants, for schools and their staff. Anything to make it a bit easier for everyone involved would be great. AMCAS guidelines does advice students to decline offers to schools as soon as they know they are not attending. Doing so will reduce administrative headache for schools and may "possibly" mean that another student get that spot, saving them from more months of anxiety. You personally should know how nerve-wracking waiting to hear from schools is. I never said that they were bad people for holding multiple acceptances. Maybe saying that it is "unethical" is too harsh. I am just asking them to be a bit more considerate about how difficult this whole process is.

it doesn't work like that. schools know people will withdraw and plan for that, so it's not a one-in-one-out situation.

I know that it does not work like that. Obviously most schools over-accept. Most waitlists do not move until May 15, but early withdrawals reduce administrative headaches for schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that it does not work like that. Obviously most schools over-accept. Most waitlists do not move until May 15, but early withdrawals reduce administrative headaches for schools.

how? i don't see how someone withdrawing on april 20th is any less of an administrative headache than someone withdrawing on may 14th. i also don't know that any withdrawal causes administrative headaches... admissions offices know very well what to expect about how their class will be filled each year.

This application process is already quite stressful, for applicants, for schools and their staff. Anything to make it a bit easier for everyone involved would be great. AMCAS guidelines does advice students to decline offers to schools as soon as they know they are not attending. Doing so will reduce administrative headache for schools and may "possibly" mean that another student get that spot, saving them from more months of anxiety. You personally should know how nerve-wracking waiting to hear from schools is. I never said that they were bad people for holding multiple acceptances. Maybe saying that it is "unethical" is too harsh. I am just asking them to be a bit more considerate about how difficult this whole process is.

Then take up your beef with AMCAS, the AAMC, or whomever. Trust me, if the system didn't work for medical schools, they would change it. There is plenty about this process that I despise, but it is not the fault of fellow applicants.

Applying to med school is inherently stressful because more than half of all applicants don't get in - it is not my concern how this fact impacts anybody else, and it is silly to think that my actions with regard to turning down acceptances that we are entitled to hold on to until May 15 would have any effect on someone else.

You also completely missed my point about minding your own business. Haranguing your friends is very toolish...but my guess is that this won't be the first time your friends have seen this from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad I have until May 15th to make a decision. Going to second looks has definitely changed my opinions about some of my schools and has helped me figure out what exactly I'm looking for in a school and in my potential classmates. Choosing a medical school is a big decision to make, and it's kind of ridiculous to expect that everyone could make a final choice the instant they receive acceptance or financial offers. I see that some people are able to make the decision quickly, but I for one am glad that I have more than a few weeks to think things through.

I was one of those on the fence about getting rid of my acceptances. After reading this thread I withdrew from all the schools, you guys are right it is the empathic thing to do. Others are waiting and if my decision gives someone else more time I hade no reason to do it. Good luck to all of you waiting!

By Law:
You have all right to hold your acceptance until May 15

By Ethic:

In benefits of others who are waiting, it would be great help, if you decide quickly. However, no one can force you but caring for others is a moral duty of responsible citizen.

Like,

By law, you have all right to legally earn billions of $$$ like Bill Gates. No one question you if you are earning by legal way and paying all taxes.

Moral and Ethic:
Some Billionair/Millionaire do charity for poor, needy people (Bill Gates vows 10 billions charity for next 10 years). No one force them to do charity but they love to help others.

I'm glad I have until May 15th to make a decision. Going to second looks has definitely changed my opinions about some of my schools and has helped me figure out what exactly I'm looking for in a school and in my potential classmates. Choosing a medical school is a big decision to make, and it's kind of ridiculous to expect that everyone could make a final choice the instant they receive acceptance or financial offers. I see that some people are able to make the decision quickly, but I for one am glad that I have more than a few weeks to think things through.

Then take up your beef with AMCAS, the AAMC, or whomever. Trust me, if the system didn't work for medical schools, they would change it. There is plenty about this process that I despise, but it is not the fault of fellow applicants.

Applying to med school is inherently stressful because more than half of all applicants don't get in - it is not my concern how this fact impacts anybody else, and it is silly to think that my actions with regard to turning down acceptances that we are entitled to hold on to until May 15 would have any effect on someone else.

You also completely missed my point about minding your own business. Haranguing your friends is very toolish... but my guess is that this won't be the first time your friends have seen this from you.

End with that. As you know neither me nor my friends, there is no need to delve into my character nor the nature of my relationships.

To everybody else: All I am saying is that if you have legitimate reasons for holding on to your acceptances - indecisiveness, I do not have a problem with that. You are entitled to all your acceptances. But if you've already made a decision and you just love the feeling of the bountiful season, then I implore you to give them up - whether it makes a difference or not for another student. But as someone else pointed out, there are only a very few students (if any) who hold acceptances just for the sake of holding them.

I was one of those on the fence about getting rid of my acceptances. After reading this thread I withdrew from all the schools, you guys are right it is the empathic thing to do. Others are waiting and if my decision gives someone else more time I hade no reason to do it. Good luck to all of you waiting!

:thumbup: I did the same thing a few days ago. When I got a new acceptance I knew for sure I would not attend another school I was accepted at. It just felt like the right thing to do.

Couldn't disagree with this more. Hard work enttitles you to be a dick and make others sweat it out? If you know where you do or don't want to go, there is absolutely no reason to hold multiple acceptances. None. NADA.

No, hard work gives you the right to take advantage of every possible opportunity that holding multiple acceptances gives you. This can include not having to commit until as late as possible because it's comforting, using acceptances as scholarship leverage, etc.

The waitlist will move when it moves. It may not move at all when you withdraw because schools over-accept anyway. Holding acceptances does not take away spots from others.

End with that. As you know neither me nor my friends, there is no need to delve into my character nor the nature of my relationships.

To everybody else: All I am saying is that if you have legitimate reasons for holding on to your acceptances - indecisiveness, I do not have a problem with that. You are entitled to all your acceptances. But if you've already made a decision and you just love the feeling of the bountiful season, then I implore you to give them up - whether it makes a difference or not for another student. But as someone else pointed out, there are only a very few students (if any) who hold acceptances just for the sake of holding them.

Who appointed you the arbiter of what is a legitimate reason? All reasons are legit prior to May 15.

And now you are imploring people to give up acceptances whether it makes a difference for another student or not? Seriously, dude: MYOB.

Couldn't disagree with this more. Hard work enttitles you to be a dick and make others sweat it out? If you know where you do or don't want to go, there is absolutely no reason to hold multiple acceptances. None. NADA.

And it implies that the people who aren't accepted yet didn't work hard.

No one has considered things like my situation. I spent $2,000 reserving a seat at a school I know I won't go to if I get in anywhere else. It's non-refundable, so people holding onto seats where I know I'd definitely go just cost me money that could be used for food and rent. Instead I'm living off pasta & sauce (unable to afford cheese) and having to use Internet at the lab since I can't afford Internet or television.

Just saying you could be costing someone like me a ton of money. Very selfish. I agree with the person that said these people lack empathy. Not a good quality to have in a physician.

No one has considered things like my situation. I spent $2,000 reserving a seat at a school I know I won't go to if I get in anywhere else. It's non-refundable, so people holding onto seats where I know I'd definitely go just cost me money that could be used for food and rent. Instead I'm living off pasta & sauce (unable to afford cheese) and having to use Internet at the lab since I can't afford Internet or television.

Just saying you could be costing someone like me a ton of money. Very selfish. I agree with the person that said these people lack empathy. Not a good quality to have in a physician.

Nobody held a gun to your head to pay that ridiculous non refundable deposit.

The school that levies the deposit is the one costing you money...your beef is with that school. Placing the blame on fellow applicants is not only wrong, it is absurd.

Members don't see this ad :)
People with multiple acceptances forced you to spend that $2000 deposit? You must be joking.

If a person like described in the OP had given up their seat in March I may not have had to spend $2000 reserving a spot I am unlikely to want. I'm on six freaking wait lists. Chances are, it wouldn't make any kind of a difference, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are many people in that situation who wouldn't be in that situation had a person given up their seat when they realized they wouldn't go to the school.

Who appointed you the arbiter of what is a legitimate reason? All reasons are legit prior to May 15.

And now you are imploring people to give up acceptances whether it makes a difference for another student or not? Seriously, dude: MYOB.

Seriously man, you need to take a chill pill. Imploring does not equal telling people what to do. It was just a suggestion.

No, hard work gives you the right to take advantage of every possible opportunity that holding multiple acceptances gives you. This can include not having to commit until as late as possible because it's comforting, using acceptances as scholarship leverage, etc.

The waitlist will move when it moves. It may not move at all when you withdraw because schools over-accept anyway. Holding acceptances does not take away spots from others.

I think you missed the point of this thread by a longshot. My point, along with the point of the thread, is about people holding onto spots after they've already made their decision.

I'm not arguing that there aren't advantages to holding onto them. If you want to hold on to them to see if a better deal comes up or whatnot, more power to you. However, holding onto a spot because you're too lazy to turn down an acceptance is just plain wrong.

Seriously man, you need to take a chill pill. Imploring does not equal telling people what to do. It was just a suggestion.

Get a dictionary, look up the word you used in your post (implore), and then report back to us...to implore is not to merely "suggest."

Words matter, dude.

Every day I visit these forums I think, "wow, everyone really needs to chill out."

Everyone is so uptight and high strung here. It actually bothers me a lot. Which I guess means I'm being what I'm criticizing... Oh well.

^^^
Right on. It goes from amusing to embarrassing. I guess some people know better than to show their true colors openly in society. Their release is to be judgmental, opinionated and bitter in anonymous forums.

Chill out and deal with your bitterness and insecurities people.

i don't see how it makes a difference?

the medical schools have a set number of places (no more, no less) and they already account for a certain % of students declining their offers when they send them out.

they'll just wait for everyone to reply.

By Law:
You have all right to hold your acceptance until May 15

By Ethic:

In benefits of others who are waiting, it would be great help, if you decide quickly. However, no one can force you but caring for others is a moral duty of responsible citizen.

Like,

By law, you have all right to legally earn billions of $$$ like Bill Gates. No one question you if you are earning by legal way and paying all taxes.

Moral and Ethic:
Some Billionair/Millionaire do charity for poor, needy people (Bill Gates vows 10 billions charity for next 10 years). No one force them to do charity but they love to help others.

i'm not sure withdrawing from medical schools is anywhere near comparable to the level of generosity involved in donating millions of dollars to charity. :laugh: this might just be my opinion, but acceptance etiquette also doesn't merit the grandiose terminology of 'responsible citizenry' or 'moral duty.'

look, guys, i get it - you really, desperately want this cycle to be over, and waitlists are an unfortunate way in which this whole cycle gets painfully prolonged. but clearly the world will *not* end even if everyone with multiple acceptances holds out until may 15. if a school wants to give you a spot off their waitlist, it will happen regardless of when another applicant decides to pull out.

I agree with the OP. If someone KNOWS for sure they are not going to a school even if the school offers them a full ride then the ethical thing to do is to drop out. I agree that someone holding on to a spot is not taking away anyone's acceptance because the spot will open up eventually, but it actually does make a 1=1 difference at schools that have ranked waitlists. I am on a WL at my top school and know exactly how many people need to drop before I get a spot. Knowing in April versus May would REALLY help me out for reasons I won't expand on. As soon as I find out, I will withdraw from the other two schools I am holding on to. I went for second look at one of these schools and met someone who's spouse was on the waitlist and they were really hoping they could find out as soon as possible. Don't underestimate the effect that a bit of courtesy will have and on how many it will be. :rolleyes:

I agree with the OP. If someone KNOWS for sure they are not going to a school even if the school offers them a full ride then the ethical thing to do is to drop out. I agree that someone holding on to a spot is not taking away anyone's acceptance because the spot will open up eventually, but it actually does make a 1=1 difference at schools that have ranked waitlists. I am on a WL at my top school and know exactly how many people need to drop before I get a spot. Knowing in April versus May would REALLY help me out for reasons I won't expand on. As soon as I find out, I will withdraw from the other two schools I am holding on to. I went for second look at one of these schools and met someone who's spouse was on the waitlist and they were really hoping they could find out as soon as possible. Don't underestimate the effect that a bit of courtesy will have and on how many it will be. :rolleyes:

i'm not sure i understand how a ranked vs. unranked waitlist makes any difference here. at every school, there is an "exact number of people who need to drop before you get a spot." it just so happens that on a ranked WL, you know the number, and on an unranked WL, the number remains a mystery--perhaps even to the adcom until they re-review. this doesn't change the fact that WLs don't tend to move much until after may 15th.

but i still stand by my point that this is a silly conversation because the number of people who are holding multiple seats for no reason is so small that it wouldn't have an effect on general WL movement anyway.

i'm not sure i understand how a ranked vs. unranked waitlist makes any difference here. at every school, there is an "exact number of people who need to drop before you get a spot." it just so happens that on a ranked WL, you know the number, and on an unranked WL, the number remains a mystery--perhaps even to the adcom until they re-review. this doesn't change the fact that WLs don't tend to move much until after may 15th.

but i still stand by my point that this is a silly conversation because the number of people who are holding multiple seats for no reason is so small that it wouldn't have an effect on general WL movement anyway.

this

Moral and Ethic:

Call me cynical but I do not believe good businessmen give away 10 billion dollars for purely altruistic purposes. The tax benefits, positive PR and revamped public image, deflection of negative attention from crappy defective products, and establishing a philanthropic platform as a new base of power were fairly sound business decisions imo.

However, holding onto a spot because you're too lazy to turn down an acceptance is just plain wrong.

Do people actually believe that someone savvy/smart/presentable enough to be sitting on multiple acceptances is simply "too lazy"?

Or is it more likely that when asked they simply do not feel inclined to divulge their personal reasons regarding a monumental personal decision?

Perhaps this reason was offered as a more diplomatic alternative to "sorry your mediocre mcat, self-serving definition of empathy, and modest interview technique didn't dazzle the adcoms and now you're waitlisted everywhere" or "what the fook business is it of yours how or when I get around to deciding how to spend the next 4 years and a quarter of a million dollars, eh azzhat?"

:confused: How do you know this?

This. People who have multiple acceptances can do whatever they want with them. However, using reasoning such as: "They worked hard" is pretty ridiculous. People are basically implying (whether they want to or not) that people on the waitlist didn't work as hard. Premeds, in general, regardless of which med school they attend, work hard in order to reach those goals. The other reasons are fine. This one just irked me.

Carry on.

Do people actually believe that someone savvy/smart/presentable enough to be sitting on multiple acceptances is simply "too lazy"?

Or is it more likely that when asked they simply do not feel inclined to divulge their personal reasons regarding a monumental personal decision?

Perhaps this reason was offered as a more diplomatic alternative to "sorry your mediocre mcat, self-serving definition of empathy, and modest interview technique didn't dazzle the adcoms and now you're waitlisted everywhere" or "what the fook business is it of yours how or when I get around to deciding how to spend the next 4 years and a quarter of a million dollars, eh azzhat?"

This is what I am getting at. Medical schools interview tons of qualified applicants (hence why they received the interview). Why in the world would you assume that just because they are waitlisted, this means (bolded statement)? :thumbdown:

:confused: How do you know this?

come on... all we're getting is a couple of anecdotes like "i know this person who is holding all these seats just because" whereas the vast majority of people are saying "i'm holding seats for x, y, z valid reasons." and yes, i know that SDN is not the whole pre-med population, and i know that i don't have any pre-med friends so i have no IRL examples, but... come on. you can't seriously believe that there is an epidemic of gratuitous seat-holding going on. come. on.

come on... all we're getting is a couple of anecdotes like "i know this person who is holding all these seats just because" whereas the vast majority of people are saying "i'm holding seats for x, y, z valid reasons." and yes, i know that SDN is not the whole pre-med population, and i know that i don't have any pre-med friends so i have no IRL examples, but... come on. you can't seriously believe that there is an epidemic of gratuitous seat-holding going on. come. on.

I just thought you had some super secret data or something. :laugh:

Truthfully, that was my "reason". I was being lazy because I didn't think that the fact that others were possibly waiting for my spot was important enough to warrant me actually making it a priority. Since I am a second semester senior more interested in partying (at the moment) than school, this meant it didn't get done even though I've known for a month where I am going. I just realized that withdrawing possibly opened up 5 spots for other people, since I have many friends only on waitlists this seemed like the right thing to do for them (esp since i know moving back across the country is daunting for me already and I still have 5 months to figure it out).

We will never be able to decide "right or wrong" but I would at least say that what I was doing was most def inconsiderate. Once again GL all!

I agree with this statement unless there are schools that the person 100% knows they will not attend. According to the OP, this girl has schools she knows she won't attend and refuses to take a few minutes out of her day to notify these schools. It's honestly very inconsiderate because she would feel differently if she were waitlisted. She obviously doesn't care though and it scares me that people like this will have an MD. Isn't empathy necessary to be a physician? She obviously hasn't placed herself in the shoes of waitlisted applicants, so she must have fooled the adcoms at these schools that she actually cares about anyone but herself. Hopefully she learns how to be empathetic before she finishes med school because if she doesn't, I feel very sorry for every patient she encounters in her career.
lolwhuttranslated384267dn3.jpg

Truthfully, that was my "reason". I was being lazy because I didn't think that the fact that others were possibly waiting for my spot was important enough to warrant me actually making it a priority. Since I am a second semester senior more interested in partying (at the moment) than school, this meant it didn't get done even though I've known for a month where I am going. I just realized that withdrawing possibly opened up 5 spots for other people, since I have many friends only on waitlists this seemed like the right thing to do for them (esp since i know moving back across the country is daunting for me already and I still have 5 months to figure it out).

We will never be able to decide "right or wrong" but I would at least say that what I was doing was most def inconsiderate. Once again GL all!

Seriously! I don't think there are going to be huge numbers of people that sit on acceptances they don't care about because they're lazy (or more likely, just aren't thinking about how it might impact others in terms of planning moving, etc). But if you have no other reason it's just the nice thing to do.

I certainly wouldn't say that people that aren't doing so are jerks, or anything, but they aren't as awesome as those that go out of their way to be extra considerate.

lol what is going on in this thread?? why is everyone so pissed off? of course it would be nice for people to withdraw since many schools do utilize hold lists, but of course they don't have to, regardless of their reasoning. it says nothing about their capacity for empathy. (i'm on 3 wait-lists, so this situation does apply to me) here's to hoping :xf:

lol what is going on in this thread?? why is everyone so pissed off? of course it would be nice for people to withdraw since many schools do utilize hold lists, but of course they don't have to, regardless of their reasoning. it says nothing about their capacity for empathy. (i'm on 3 wait-lists, so this situation does apply to me) here's to hoping :xf:
Empathy = beig able to understand how someone else feels. Like knowing that people on waitlists would want to get off of them. Appreciating that, I (eventually) made the decision to be sensitive to it and not hold on to acceptances when I know my school. I think te word applies

Empathy = beig able to understand how someone else feels. Like knowing that people on waitlists would want to get off of them. Appreciating that, I (eventually) made the decision to be sensitive to it and not hold on to acceptances when I know my school. I think te word applies

it's awesome that you did that :) (especially for people like me!) im just saying that stretching this situation to make inferences about empathy as i read above seems a bit unfair.

it's awesome that you did that :) (especially for people like me!) im just saying that stretching this situation to make inferences about empathy as i read above seems a bit unfair.
Of course, I would never assume that anyone who doesn't get off a waitlists would thus not be a good physician.

hmm so i think we're talking about many subpopulations of medical school applicants:

a) those that are waitlisted at one or many schools with no acceptances.
b) those that are waitlisted at one or many schools with an acceptance already, but would rather matriculate at a school that they are waitlisted at
c) those that have multiple acceptances who have withdrawn from all school save their top choice
d) those that have multiple acceptances who have not withdrawn from all schools, pending their decision on financial aid and revisits
e) those that have multiple acceptances who have not withdrawn from all schools because they are lazy, don't feel like it, feel entitled to it, etc

we all pray and hope for group a
we feel for group b
the heroes are in group c
we respectfully wait for the decisions in group d
we wish that group e would become group c

sounds like the beef lies between: groups a and b VS group e

i don't think there can be any argument that when an accepted student withdraws their acceptance, the waitlisted student has a higher chance of getting off the list. it's addition and subtraction. it might be more complicated for schools that grossly overaccept, but overall, that's how a wait list works.

yes, people in group e are technically entitled to wait until May 15th, but why hold off if they've already made their decision? just because they can? i get it, and i respect that, but i would hope that these students will understand the plight of groups a and b, practice from empathy, and withdraw so that these kids have a higher chance.

btw, anyone on the waitlist for loma linda and/or cincinnati? i have a friend who is dead set, 10000% positive she is going to OSHU for med school, but hasn't notified her other schools yet. she says she'll eventually let them know.

hmm so i think we're talking about many subpopulations of medical school applicants:

b) those that are waitlisted at one or many schools with an acceptance already, but would rather matriculate at a school that they are waitlisted at
c) those that have multiple acceptances who have withdrawn from all school save their top choice
d) those that have multiple acceptances who have not withdrawn from all schools, pending their decision on financial aid and revisits
e) those that have multiple acceptances who have not withdrawn from all schools because they are lazy, don't feel like it, feel entitled to it, etc

we feel for group b

i don't think there can be any argument that when an accepted student withdraws their acceptance, the waitlisted student has a higher chance of getting off the list. it's addition and subtraction. it might be more complicated for schools that grossly overaccept, but overall, that's how a wait list works.

yes, people in group e are technically entitled to wait until May 15th, but why hold off if they've already made their decision? just because they can? i get it, and i respect that, but i would hope that these students will understand the plight of groups a and b, practice from empathy, and withdraw so that these kids have a higher chance.

btw, anyone on the waitlist for loma linda and/or cincinnati? i have a friend who is dead set, 10000% positive she is going to OSHU for med school, but hasn't notified her other schools yet. she says she'll eventually let them know.
this seems like a random thread to bump after 2 weeks

anyway, i think the argument is that the overwhelming majority of people who hold multiple acceptances fall into "group d" that you listed, and that there's very very few people who are in "group e" and are just being jerks because they feel like they can be. it's fun to talk about them and say they're the worst people ever, but i really don't think that they're all that common.

this seems like a random thread to bump after 2 weeks

anyway, i think the argument is that the overwhelming majority of people who hold multiple acceptances fall into "group d" that you listed, and that there's very very few people who are in "group e" and are just being jerks because they feel like they can be. it's fun to talk about them and say they're the worst people ever, but i really don't think that they're all that common.

sorry about the late commentary. it just got me thinking as i am in group b and am witnessing the movement of the waitlist at my top choice school through the school discussion threads. i also don't visit SDN on a daily basis, so it's my own personal lag :rolleyes:

true about the small number in group e, but a little bit can go a long way and put students in groups a and b at ease.

we feel for group b

Golden post.

I'd just add to the bolded part that although chances of getting in are totally unrelated to the time others withdraw, there are other factors to consider. Group A goes through a lot of stress (not knowing what the !&#% they are going to be doing next year). Also group A would love to know asap if they need to reapply... Also, group B would like to get their life in order in time for mid-summer.

I agree with this statement unless there are schools that the person 100% knows they will not attend. According to the OP, this girl has schools she knows she won't attend and refuses to take a few minutes out of her day to notify these schools. It's honestly very inconsiderate because she would feel differently if she were waitlisted. She obviously doesn't care though and it scares me that people like this will have an MD. Isn't empathy necessary to be a physician? She obviously hasn't placed herself in the shoes of waitlisted applicants, so she must have fooled the adcoms at these schools that she actually cares about anyone but herself. Hopefully she learns how to be empathetic before she finishes med school because if she doesn't, I feel very sorry for every patient she encounters in her career.

Its ok. She can just be a radiologist.

this thread is :beat:

and it's making me :bang:

(i have never before used the head banging smiley; that's how annoying this discussion is.)

we feel for group b

Sure, but that is true all summer long.

we feel for group b

Using the logic from this thread:

People should pay their taxes on January 1st every year. The deadline isn't until April 15th, but people should feel empathy for the less fortunate who are going to use that money for medicaid, food stamps, Section 8, etc. They already know they're going to pay it, so they should go ahead and pay it at the earliest possible time.

Using the logic from this thread:

People should pay their taxes on January 1st every year. The deadline isn't until April 15th, but people should feel empathy for the less fortunate who are going to use that money for medicaid, food stamps, Section 8, etc. They already know they're going to pay it, so they should go ahead and pay it at the earliest possible time.

wouldn't that be awesome? i'm not saying it's wrong that these students are holding on to them, but why do so especially when they absolutely know where they are going to go. like i said, i get the whole idea that accepted students can wait until may 15, and i respect what they decide to do. just some empathy would be nice.

as an aside: the federal government's fiscal year begins in october, not january. this is probably why taxes are due in april and not december. and i'm pretty sure the system of allocating funds to programs such as medicaid is not how medical schools release students from the wait list.

in my attempt to end the beating of the dead horse, the bottom line seems to be that waitlisted people are a little frustrated and wish the accepted students will let go of their multiple acceptances. the accepted people are like whatever, we have the right to wait, suck it up, and let us be. it's the system, we have to work with it.

wouldn't that be awesome? i'm not saying it's wrong that these students are holding on to them, but why do so especially when they absolutely know where they are going to go. like i said, i get the whole idea that accepted students can wait until may 15, and i respect what they decide to do. just some empathy would be nice.

as an aside: the federal government's fiscal year begins in october, not january. this is probably why taxes are due in april and not december. and i'm pretty sure the system of allocating funds to programs such as medicaid is not how medical schools release students from the wait list.

in my attempt to end the beating of the dead horse, the bottom line seems to be that waitlisted people are a little frustrated and wish the accepted students will let go of their multiple acceptances. the accepted people are like whatever, we have the right to wait, suck it up, and let us be. it's the system, we have to work with it.

You're taxed on income in the calendar year, not on the government's fiscal year. Tax day is April 15th to allow you (or H&R Block) plenty of time to go through the labryinth that is the tax code. As far as allocation of funds argument, just bc a person withdrawals from a school on April 20th doesn't mean an acceptance is going out April 21st.

The system works. If you are going to get in off the waitlist, you're going to get in regardless when other people withdrawal. In 20 years, it's not going to matter that you found out you got into medical school on November 1st, December May 1st or July 1st.

You're taxed on income in the calendar year, not on the government's fiscal year. Tax day is April 15th to allow you (or H&R Block) plenty of time to go through the labryinth that is the tax code. As far as allocation of funds argument, just bc a person withdrawals from a school on April 20th doesn't mean an acceptance is going out April 21st.

The system works. If you are going to get in off the waitlist, you're going to get in regardless when other people withdrawal. In 20 years, it's not going to matter that you found out you got into medical school on November 1st, December May 1st or July 1st.

I think everyone understands that they will get off the waitlist at one point or another if they were meant to, but it would be nice to get off earlier than later. As the summer goes on, more stress occurs and plus, these waitlisted people who get accepted will have to move to new cities, find housing, etc. It would be nice to have most of the summer to prepare for that adjustment than having to scramble at the end of the summer to find housing and get acclimated to the new city. Of course people with multiple acceptances have the right to hold onto them; it was just be more considerate if they withdrew to the other schools only if they are 110% sure they will not be attending.