Accepted...for NEXT year... Apply again? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doublefrick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers,

So...I applied this year...late (finished secondaries between October and close to deadlines)...but still managed to score 5 interviews for a total of 12 completed applications (cGPA & sGPA were both good and mid-20s MCAT, excellent EC's). I had no idea that there was such a thing as interviewing FOR a waitlist position, but now I am well-acquainted with that option.

I was elated to be accepted to a school that I really liked, but I am concerned about its rep, location, residency placement, and boards pass rate. I'd also like to take the USMLE to keep my options open and wish to attend a school where other students will be studying for it, too. In addition to all that, I was accepted for the following year...Can I accept and reapply so I have a home guaranteed for next year?:confused:

Has anyone had this issue? I was hoping I'd know where I'd be going for THIS year so I could work the summer and save a little cash. Now I've just started re-studying for the MCAT :( (following sn2ed plan for 3 months) and need to rewrite a personal statement...update ECs...etc. My home college also seems hesitant to rewrite an LOR for me, but said they would.

What would you suggest besides applying earlier? ([in Napoleon Dynamite voice] "ugh, IDIOT!") :oops:

Thanks, y'all. Keep on keepin' on :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDNers,

So...I applied this year...late (finished secondaries between October and close to deadlines)...but still managed to score 5 interviews for a total of 12 completed applications (cGPA & sGPA were both good and mid-20s MCAT, excellent EC's). I had no idea that there was such a thing as interviewing FOR a waitlist position, but now I am well-acquainted with that option.

I was elated to be accepted to a school that I really liked, but I am concerned about its rep, location, residency placement, and boards pass rate. I'd also like to take the USMLE to keep my options open and wish to attend a school where other students will be studying for it, too. In addition to all that, I was accepted for the following year...Can I accept and reapply so I have a home guaranteed for next year?:confused:

Has anyone had this issue? I was hoping I'd know where I'd be going for THIS year so I could work the summer and save a little cash. Now I've just started re-studying for the MCAT :( (following sn2ed plan for 3 months) and need to rewrite a personal statement...update ECs...etc. My home college also seems hesitant to rewrite an LOR for me, but said they would.

What would you suggest besides applying earlier? ([in Napoleon Dynamite voice] "ugh, IDIOT!") :oops:

Thanks, y'all. Keep on keepin' on :)

So you got accepted to a school and don't want to go. You're stupid. Go to med school enjoy your summer. Med school is what YOU make it out to be. Just cause you go to Hopkins doesn't mean you will get a 250 USMLE..its about YOU.

Bottom Line: Enjoy summer, go to med school where you were accepted.

So you got accepted to a school and don't want to go. You're stupid. Go to med school enjoy your summer. Med school is what YOU make it out to be. Just cause you go to Hopkins doesn't mean you will get a 250 USMLE..its about YOU.

From the way I am interpreting it, they were accepted for the C/O 2017, not 2016. I'm not sure though.
OP-I would try and see if you could be penalized by your school for reapplying (that is if I interpreted the situation correctly)

Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe it was not clear, but the OP stated that they were accepted for next years entering class, not this year. I am aware of a few schools that do this. He/she will have to wait until next year to start and is asking if they should apply again this next cycle.

To the OP: By all means, if it isn't a school you really like and you have to sit out another year you might as well apply again. I know a couple schools who accept people for the following years entering class and to my knowledge there is no contract or anything of the sort they make you sign that says you can't apply again to other schools.

maybe it was not clear, but the op stated that they were accepted for next years entering class, not this year. I am aware of a few schools that do this. He/she will have to wait until next year to start and is asking if they should apply again this next cycle.

To the op: By all means, if it isn't a school you really like and you have to sit out another year you might as well apply again. I know a couple schools who accept people for the following years entering class and to my knowledge there is no contract or anything of the sort they make you sign that says you can't apply again to other schools.

+1

Maybe it was not clear, but the OP stated that they were accepted for next years entering class, not this year. I am aware of a few schools that do this. He/she will have to wait until next year to start and is asking if they should apply again this next cycle.

To the OP: By all means, if it isn't a school you really like and you have to sit out another year you might as well apply again. I know a couple schools who accept people for the following years entering class and to my knowledge there is no contract or anything of the sort they make you sign that says you can't apply again to other schools.

How do I tactfully ask the adcom?

wait. clear this up OP. what school is accepting applicants for 2017? So you got 5 interviews and didn't get accepted to any accept this one for next year? I am confused. what school is it. maybe you are incorrect on your assumptions and people here can help clear it up.

How do I tactfully ask the adcom?

Dude. Nothing to worry about. Keep your spot at the school you don't like and reapply. These schools can't prevent you from applying again unless they tell you that you can't through some kind of contract or something of the sorts. You don't owe them anything so save your spot at whatever school it is and reapply. If you are really that worried about it just straight up ask them through email or over the phone -- it's not like they are going to drop your spot from the c/o 2017 because you wanted to reapply during a cycle that you would be essentially sitting through. This is typical --- no worries man.

I will bet you, though, that people on these "high waitlist/we're guaranteeing you a spot for next year lists" get pulled off quickly on May 15th to start this year because many people will drop the DO acceptance for MD acceptances (May 15 is the date for MD schools to confirm attendance). I know that this is the case for MSUCOM. It seems that last year everyone from the high waitlist got pulled off around that time to start that year. Even some got pulled off the low wait list. Now I doubt the school you're talking about is MSUCOM because of the way you represented it in your original post (MSU is a top DO school) but although I am not sure what school it is that you are talking about I am telling you that you *may* get pulled off that list in May/June and get offered a spot for the c/o 2016. Happens all the time. Sit it out. Good luck.

EDIT:
If you don't want to tell us what school it is you should look up the schools 2010-2011 application thread and see how many people were in your position last cycle and got pulled off the waitlist. This should give you a good idea of your chances. It really depends on the state --- MSUCOM is like this because many in-staters drop for one of the allopathic schools. Michigan's situation is different. So like I said -- look up that 2010-2011 school specific thread.

Last edited:
Yes, it is for 2017, and apologies, but I prefer to keep to school name out of this. You all have been so helpful. Thank you :)

I am soooo confused. How in the heck are you going to apply for medical school that starts this July and it's now April? WTF people????? So you have to wait another year. SOOOOO WHAT???? So you take this opportunity to work work work, save, save, save and not have the same amount of debt as the rest of us. Go travel. have some fun. What are you thinking??????? Dang...

You prefer to keep the name out? it is easy to find from your post history, but whatever. did they say you couldn't apply again? if so, apply again and reject. if your stats really are competitive like you say, you can definitely get into a better school than that if you apply June 1st.

You prefer to keep the name out? it is easy to find from your post history, but whatever. did they say you couldn't apply again? if so, apply again and reject. if your stats really are competitive like you say, you can definitely get into a better school than that if you apply June 1st.

Haha, you sneak! I had to find out myself as well.

OP, if there is no contract then you probably don't have to tell the adcom anything until you find a place you're set on attending. As per the advice of others, save some money or spend some on travelling to places you love/never been to before. If you plan on applying for next cycle come June, then you could even start to get some more ECs.

Best of luck to you! Make the best of this coming year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, you sneak! I had to find out myself as well.

OP, if there is no contract then you probably don't have to tell the adcom anything until you find a place you're set on attending. As per the advice of others, save some money or spend some on travelling to places you love/never been to before. If you plan on applying for next cycle come June, then you could even start to get some more ECs.

Best of luck to you! Make the best of this coming year!

Everyone loves a good creeper moment lol jk. Thank you!

On a side note, and someone can PM me for the answer, but how many schools offer deferred decisions of acceptance for the next year? I've heard that Nova does, but is this true?

Anything to get my mind off of the "DO can get MD title?" thread.

I personally know one person that was given acceptance to C/0 2016 last cycle and reapplied to other schools this cycle and was accepted to a school he felt more comfortable attending.

Everyone loves a good creeper moment lol jk. Thank you!

Agreed. People don't seem to appreciate a well-placed creep tumor line as much as they should. Really helps with the lateral motion of queens and roaches to negate the zealot speed upgrade.

...what were we talking about again?

KYCOM routinely accepts people for the next year's class. I've heard they're doing the same thing this year. Not sure if this is the school OP is talking about or not.

For what it's worth, if you want to be a primary care provider, KYCOM is a great choice.

Whoa....maybe I am just out of the loop....but what schools give a spot for the following year rather than the current year?....I have never heard of that.

I haven't either until this thread.

KCOM
PNWU
SOMA
AZCOM

all do an accepted pending a seat, which grants you a seat for the following year if you don't get in.

OP, are you accepted pending a seat, meaning that you have a chance to get in later this year from a waitlist and are guaranteed to get in for next year?

Add COMP to the list too. From looking at OP's more recent posts, I think she got accepted off a waitlist so no need to defer a year.

Add COMP to the list too. From looking at OP's more recent posts, I think she got accepted off a waitlist so no need to defer a year.

Yes, I was. And holy expert creeping, Batman! Lol :) thanks for all your help, SDNers!

Yes, I was. And holy expert creeping, Batman! Lol :) thanks for all your help, SDNers!
Congrats, doublefrick! For those that may be in this same situation, don't lose hope for this year. A friend of mine was accepted for the following year and received a call one to two weeks before classes began which he was able to take advantage of and attend that year.

Sorry!!! :laugh: Had put this thread to rest. Congrats and good luck!!!

Congrats, doublefrick! For those that may be in this same situation, don't lose hope for this year. A friend of mine was accepted for the following year and received a call one to two weeks before classes began which he was able to take advantage of and attend that year.

Sorry!!! :D Had to put this thread to rest. Congrats and good luck!!!

Thanks, y'all! I will remember to end SDN threads myself as proper SDN etiquette :laugh:

Good luck to you, also :)

Isn't there something in the primary application asking if you've ever been accepted to a medical program? I thought it was frowned upon to reapply after you've been accepted

lol totally missed the part about you being accepted for this year, congrats!

Isn't there something in the primary application asking if you've ever been accepted to a medical program? I thought it was frowned upon to reapply after you've been accepted

I believe that they ask if you have matriculated....