Accepted into a DPT program, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rltruong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im finished with school and my DPT program doesn't start till the summer. I was accepted last November and spent all of december and some of january traveling. Now that Im back I feel extremely bored. I work full time and yet my mind is wanting school to start already.

If you are just waiting for school to start what are some ways you are finding to pass the time?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also waiting to start school and working full time until I can begin that phase. When I'm not working I tend to spend my time reading books on philosophy and self-improvement. Most of the self-improvement books relate to positive thinking, stress management, how to improve memory, and other various areas of functioning. I have been reminded, time and time again, of the challenges associated with completing physical therapy school and I want to be prepared mentally to meet those challenges. I play the guitar and piano, which is not only fun for me, but a great stress reliever. If you don't already play an instrument, maybe picking up one and learning could help pass the time for you. It may also prove to be a great stress reliever for you when you are in physical therapy school. I also try to work out everyday and spend time with friends and family. The latter part is especially important because I envision not having much time to visit friends and family while I am in physical therapy school. Finally, I spend time on SDN reading threads and chiming in every now and again haha!

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently in my 2nd semester of PT school. My advice for you, enjoy life while you can. haha

If you have the motivation, briefly (emphasis on BRIEFLY because the following really isn't necessary...only if you want to be slightly ahead...) skim through anatomy and bio mechanics...Origins, Insertions, Actions, Innervations of each muscle...you are going to have to know them and know them well. When does your program have your anatomy class scheduled? I know some programs do it right away in the first semester (like mine) and others wait until the second semester. If yours isn't until the second semester, then nevermind and just enjoy yourself...lol

Other than that, seriously...enjoy the free time you have. Its good that your working since that'll pass the time. What I am about to say varies from person to person and their circumstances and plans obviously, but if you can afford and dont plan on working when PT school starts, I would almost give yourself a month of pure freedom from all obligation before school starts. Go on vacations and do things that you have the time to do. Really take the time and treat yourself to some slacking off and enjoy your hobbies...Once when school starts, your there all week long. And try and land yourself a research job so you have a job that blends in with the PT program. I know my school has research positions that pay very nicely (pays my rent pretty much) and don't allow you to work over 6 hours a week.

But anyways, that's my two cents. :) Don't drive yourself nuts, but really treat yourself if you can. See friends, family, etc...