Accepted into MD/PhD but possibly want to do MD only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

driverfearless

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted into an MD/PhD program, but recently, I have had some qualms about the length of the program. At the beginning of the application cycle, I was all gung-ho and committed on doing MD/PhD, but after talking thoroughly with some family and friends in the medical field, I'm having some doubts. If I got accepted into a school's MD/PhD program, is it likely that I can matriculate as an MD-only student or does this depend on the program? How should I go about asking admissions about this possibility? I'm a little scared that this will put me on some sort of blacklist because it shows I'm indecisive/not committed.
 
Very program dependent. My program had this happen last year and the student transferred to MD-only no problem. But technically an acceptance to an MD/PhD program is not an acceptance to the MD program so it would be justifiable for the program to not allow you to transfer.
 
You need to have a frank talk with your MD/PhD program directly ASAP. It is program dependent but the program has an opportunity to fill in your MD/PhD slot out of the waitlist. You also need to understand the policies of the MD-program, whether the MD-program needs more in-state (or not) matriculants, etc. Communication is most important...