You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Accepted off waitlist after matriculating at another school?
Started by justcurious09
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
chaeymaey said:Hopefully you've withdrawn before then. It's mean to stay on the waitlist when you know that there are other people waiting on it just like you were.
I understand that there's an ethical dilemma here. That is, students on the waitlist at the school I'm matriculating at probably won't be able to get a seat if I withdraw to got to another school. However, I expect these school over enroll somewhat in anticipation of drop outs.
Moreover, I would much rather go the school I'm on the waitlist at. It's much less expensive and my girlfriend and family would be really close by.
What I'm asking is - do you know if there's a rule somewhere forbidding this?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe once school starts then you can't be pulled from a waitlist. Look on the applicant procedures on the aamc.org
BrettBatchelor said:I believe once school starts then you can't be pulled from a waitlist. Look on the applicant procedures on the aamc.org
Very Good. That's what I was looking for:
The AAMC recommends that:
Immediately upon enrollment in, or initiation of an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school, each applicant withdraw his or her application from consideration at all other schools at which he or she remains under consideration.
http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/applicants.htm
Not to get ahead of myself - I haven't even been accepted yet - but these are only "recommendations" for applicants. Is that just a fancy way of saying policy? Could there be a punishment with this?
Thoughts?
http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm
read #9 it says right there that no school can make an acceptance offer if you have already matriculated
read #9 it says right there that no school can make an acceptance offer if you have already matriculated
Yes. That is where I saw that.tdd340 said:http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm
read #9 it says right there that no school can make an acceptance offer if you have already matriculated
Sorry to bump an old topic, but how does this rule hold up? I have heard (from word of mouth) that people have gotten into early starting schools, stayed on waitlists, then dropped out of the school to go the school they got into off the waitlist. For example, I've seen on the Case threads that some people get accepted after school starts because of this reason.
I still see on the website that it says the same thing
For students https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/applicants/):https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/applicants/
10. Immediately upon enrollment in, or initiation of an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school or program, each applicant withdraw his or her application from consideration at all other schools or programs at which he or she remains under consideration.
For admissions officers https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/admissionofficers/
9. No school make an acceptance offer, either verbal or written, to any individual who has enrolled in, or begun an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school. Enrollment is defined as being officially matriculated as a member of the school's first-year entering class.
Can someone tell me what "enrolled in" or "officially matriculated" means? Does this mean that if you're more hopeful to go to a waitlist school and would only go to an early starting school if you absolutely had to, you pretty much only have until one day before orientation to wait on your waitlists?
I still see on the website that it says the same thing
For students https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/applicants/):https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/applicants/
10. Immediately upon enrollment in, or initiation of an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school or program, each applicant withdraw his or her application from consideration at all other schools or programs at which he or she remains under consideration.
For admissions officers https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/admissionofficers/
9. No school make an acceptance offer, either verbal or written, to any individual who has enrolled in, or begun an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school. Enrollment is defined as being officially matriculated as a member of the school's first-year entering class.
Can someone tell me what "enrolled in" or "officially matriculated" means? Does this mean that if you're more hopeful to go to a waitlist school and would only go to an early starting school if you absolutely had to, you pretty much only have until one day before orientation to wait on your waitlists?
Sorry to bump an old topic, but how does this rule hold up? I have heard (from word of mouth) that people have gotten into early starting schools, stayed on waitlists, then dropped out of the school to go the school they got into off the waitlist. For example, I've seen on the Case threads that some people get accepted after school starts because of this reason.
I still see on the website that it says the same thing
For students https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/applicants/):https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/applicants/
10. Immediately upon enrollment in, or initiation of an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school or program, each applicant withdraw his or her application from consideration at all other schools or programs at which he or she remains under consideration.
For admissions officers https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/admissionofficers/
9. No school make an acceptance offer, either verbal or written, to any individual who has enrolled in, or begun an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school. Enrollment is defined as being officially matriculated as a member of the school's first-year entering class.
Can someone tell me what "enrolled in" or "officially matriculated" means? Does this mean that if you're more hopeful to go to a waitlist school and would only go to an early starting school if you absolutely had to, you pretty much only have until one day before orientation to wait on your waitlists?
A school can see if you have an offer and which offer you accepted. It is easy for a school to find out that School x starts on July xx and know that you are no longer in a position to accept their offer.
i tihnk they know after april 1st, AAMC releases it to all schools you have acceptances to or positions
Can someone tell me what "enrolled in" or "officially matriculated" means? Does this mean that if you're more hopeful to go to a waitlist school and would only go to an early starting school if you absolutely had to, you pretty much only have until one day before orientation to wait on your waitlists?
Yes, thats exactly what it means.
Once you set foot at a med school for orientation you are no longer eligible to be taken off of waitlists.
Its an unfortunately problem if your school starts very early, but there is no way around it. AAMC is pretty clear.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 942