Accepted on my third try. There's hope.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc_Ock

First Aid is life
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got accepted to my dream school on my THIRD round of applications. It can be done guys. Volunteer, bump up your MCAT, get a great letter of rec, maybe do a postbacc/SMP. Chin up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 27 users
Interesting timing... Care to elaborate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting timing... Care to elaborate?
Worked as a scribe, got help for my personal statement, got a 510 mcat, applied early af, practiced for interviews like my depended on it, volunteered at a local hospital, shadowed a doc and got a great LOR, did a masters of science SMP.

Reactions: 5 users
Worked as a scribe, got help for my personal statement, got a 510 mcat, applied early af, practiced for interviews like my depended on it, volunteered at a local hospital, shadowed a doc and got a great LOR, did a masters of science SMP.

Were you accepted before your fall grades in your SMP were available? Did you think the SMP was necessary for an acceptance?

Were you accepted before your fall grades in your SMP were available? Did you think the SMP was necessary for an acceptance?
Well, I chose my particular SMP because it has linkage with a med school, but the one I got accepted to was a different one so ultimately the linkage won't matter. They didn't really talk about it much in my interview, but I'm sure it helped as I do have some bad semesters and mentioning I'm in this program certainly didn't hurt. Plus I do think it's preparing me for med school so there's always that. Thankfully I didn't have to show grades. Ultimately I think I respectable formal postbacc probably would've sufficed but ultimately you never know.

Reactions: 1 user
Great work! Never give up. What an inspiration for all the pre-meds out there. I guess they say, third time's a charm!

Reactions: 1 users

I think what she was getting at is how did you find out this early? Did you apply early decision somewhere?

I think what she was getting at is how did you find out this early? Did you apply early decision somewhere?
Ah, yeah the tone of that question seemed a little pointed. Like I said, I applied super early, interviewed on only their second date (september 12), and was among the first wave of acceptances they offered. Not early decision.

Just got accepted to my dream school on my THIRD round of applications. It can be done guys. Volunteer, bump up your MCAT, get a great letter of rec, maybe do a postbacc/SMP. Chin up.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your undergrad GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking, what was your undergrad GPA?

3.26 sGPA, cgpa somewhere around 3.5-3.6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

congrats on your acceptance. would you mind commenting on how you chose your Master's program? what did you look for (besides linkage, obvs)?

congrats on your acceptance. would you mind commenting on how you chose your Master's program? what did you look for (besides linkage, obvs)?

High rate of linkage, that’s pretty much it.

cool. may I ask how many programs (smp) you applied to and roughly your timeline (when you applied)?

cool. may I ask how many programs (smp) you applied to and roughly your timeline (when you applied)?

Half a dozen, accepted to all but one, applied to some fairly early, applied to the one I went to right on the deadline. My stats are probably among the highest for those in an SMP so that probably helped.

Which SMP is this? Congratulations on your acceptance!

WesternU. Wouldn’t recommend to be honest for a host of reasons that I don’t want to get into tbh. Best options are probably vcom and lecom postbaccs.

I am going through my second cycle at the moment, and even though I've had a few II's the thought of going through this again is crushing. I can only imagine how relieving it must be after three times man, best of luck in your career as a physician.

I am going through my second cycle at the moment, and even though I've had a few II's the thought of going through this again is crushing. I can only imagine how relieving it must be after three times man, best of luck in your career as a physician.

If I make it through I might be able to sell propane and propane accessories, if my grades are good enough.

This is my third cycle, and I just got my first acceptance last week. If it comes to it, don't give up. It can get very discouraging at times, rejection after rejection, but stay positive and know that you're not alone!

Reactions: 4 users

Congrats my friend! Also got accepted at my goal school in November after five long applications. The opportunity is there if you want it. Love seeing people spreading this message.

Reactions: 1 users
This is my third cycle, and I just got my first acceptance last week. If it comes to it, don't give up. It can get very discouraging at times, rejection after rejection, but stay positive and know that you're not alone!
Congrats my friend! Also got accepted at my goal school in November after five long applications. The opportunity is there if you want it. Love seeing people spreading this message.

This is the bright side of SDN, I love the encouragement in the reapplicant folder :)

I am going to echo this. I was accepted this application cycle and this was also my third round. I will say there were many times where I wanted to throw in the towel, but I am glad I did not. Along with what was said before, I also recommend surround yourself with people who encourage you, but will be honest with you. I have my family, my friends, and the doctors I have worked with to thank for that.

Reactions: 3 users
I just posted a thread on the re-applicants forum. Can you share your thought on my situation. Thanks

I just posted a thread on the re-applicants forum. Can you share your thought on my situation. Thanks