Accepted staff position, manager position offered somewhere else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

broadspectrumrx

Reaction score
Longtime reader and follower, first time posting. Wish me luck!

In a nutshell, I applied to a staff pharmacist role (Job #1) and a new managerial role (Job #2). Both are inpatient settings, about the same commute. Job #1 is part-time, 10-hour shifts, dayshift only, rotating weekends. Job #2 is full time, Monday through Friday 8-hour shifts, no weekends or holidays. I currently work per diem at another hospital so I can always scale my hours however I like.

Job #1 called me in for an interview, I got an offer, accepted it, and just started. Job #2 now calls me in for an interview!

Job #2 is my dream job. If I get an offer from Job #2, should I quit #1 after just a month or two of being there? If so, how should I go about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Always follow your dreams. You don't want #2 to pass by just because you started with #1. I would be honest with #1's employers but only after you're sure #2 has made you an offer. Try not to burn any bridges with #1 though.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been in your position before. I burned the bridge with job #1. Don't regret it at all.

Leaving the job this early pretty much guarantees that you're gonna burn that bridge. But one last thing to consider is the work environment. While job #2 seems ideal, it could be incredibly toxic. This is something you should try to discern during your interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on a Friday for job 2 and started job 1 on Monday. Job 1 was not a good fit, but I took it to get full time position. I stayed 1-1.5 months and gave a 2 week notice. Did not look back or feel guilty and was best decision ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the best way to not burn that bridge with #1? I was thinking of being honest with them, saying that opportunities like this don't come up often. Also, I can ask #2 if I can delay the start time and finish the entire schedule with #1, that way #1 has no missing shifts that they have to fill (they just have to plan for the next schedule).

Always follow your dreams. You don't want #2 to pass by just because you started with #1. I would be honest with #1's employers but only after you're sure #2 has made you an offer. Try not to burn any bridges with #1 though.

I did the same thing... just sweet talk job #1 into letting you stay on as per diem so there are no hard feelings. You can quit later on if you want.

I had a coworker leave after a month, it happens. There's no hard feelings but I doubt she'll ever get the chance to work here again if she wanted.

Before you interview for Job #2, you should prepare some questions that may convince you to leave Job#1 for Job#2 if you end up getting an offer. Prep some questions to give you a better idea of whether or not you'll like working at Job#2 because the last thing you want to do is burn bridges with Job#1 and end up hating your work at Job#2.