1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Accepted? When did u submit your AMCAS app?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by winstonm, Apr 22, 2004.

1. winstonm

winstonm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

For those that were accepted this year, when did you submit your AMCAS application? What do you consider "early" and what do you consider "late"?

I'm thinking of applying this year but I have a research position starting in early May at a prestigious hospital and I would like to wait until I've done a bit of the two projects to get a LOR from the supervisor. The supervisor is confident the projects will result in at least one publication and a few presentations, and it would be nice to be able to list that. Is mid-to-late July or early August "late"?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Elizabeth1028

Elizabeth1028 busy busy bee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd go ahead and submit AMCAS early. It isn't worth waiting to submit it late. You can put on your application that you will be doing research over the summer, and then if you end up getting presentations and/or papers, you can send updates to the schools (which will help show continued interest too!). Plus, even if all your experiments go exactly as planned the first time (which is unusual) and you submit a publication in the summer, it can take months for a publication to be reviewed before it is accepted to a journal. Realistically, you wouldn't even know in late July or early August if the paper is going to be published. So I'd go ahead and apply early and then update your schools in a letter or at your interviews (or both).

Anyways, good luck to you. I hope your research works out! :)

4. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    might as well apply early...

early july...verified mid july...

first acceptance in mid october...

5. 10minutes

10minutes M.D.Candidate
    5+ Year Member

Applied in early June, first acceptance in mid October.

GaStu1994 likes this.
  6. SarahGM

SarahGM Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I submitted early July, and went through several agonizing weeks until I was verified in mid-late August. I received my first acceptance in October (I don't think this really correlates with when I submitted my AMCAS). But take it from me- save yourself the agony of sitting and waiting for verification while everyone else on SDN has received interview offers, and submit early! ;)

7. iliab

iliab Member
    7+ Year Member

Submitted on October 31 :eek: Got in into my first choice which is my state school. Some schools I have interviewed at only had waiting lists spots open. But if you really impress them they will put you in the top of waitlist and you will eventually get in after may 15. I would not recommend applying that late though.

8. CarerraGT

CarerraGT Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

i submitted and was verified in mid-august... received my acceptance in mid december

9. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    submitted early as soon as amcas was accepting them. First acceptances Oct 15, btw you do not submit LOR with amcas that is with secondaries. So even if you do not get your LOR until your research is over you should attempt to get amcas done asap.

10. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

Submited AMCAS mid june verified mid august

BUT I didn't submit my secondary for the school I'm probably going to go to until early december. Got accepted in April to this school.

Though it worked out in the end, had I submitted the secondary earlier I would have saved myself months of anxiety and perhaps saved money on interviews at my "backup" schools.

So it doesn't matter how early you submit your primary if you slack on the secondaries.

11. spidermonkey11

7+ Year Member

Submitted first week of July, verified last week of July, first acceptance in October. All things being equal I think youll be fine if you submit it by mid August.

12. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

Sent July 15th, transmitted August 10th. I was accepted to schools during thanksgiving break, and two in mid december. I interviewed early at many schools (first possible day at one school), and I don't think turning in the application in July hurt me in the least.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say go ahead and turn it in August either. I think July is a good time frame.

13. SaltySqueegee

SaltySqueegee El Rey de Salsa
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I was repeatedly clicking the refresh button only seconds after midnight of the day that AMCAS Submit became available. My application was processed and sent the next day.

Did it help? Yes and no. Yes, because it prevented extraordinarily long delays, and it helped because I'm pretty average as matriculants go, so it didn't put me behind the curve. In a way, I still ended up waiting to do secondaries throughout the Summer, however, it was nice to do them over the summer, and not during the Fall semester.

Finally was accepted in early April. The Waiting still happened, despite the fact that I had constant interviews from November through March.

Who knows if it helped... :confused:

GaStu1994 likes this.
  14. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

Applications were not transmitted to the schools until July 15th, while the submit date was June 1st I believe. Also, it's difficult for an application to be processed the day you sent it considering they had to verify your transcript which can take a while...

15. SaltySqueegee

SaltySqueegee El Rey de Salsa
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Hmmm... now you got me wondering... so I went back on to my old AMCAS application and found the earliest date of transmit:

MCW 07/14/2003 07:03:17 ...

So in fact it was early on the 14th of July, and not on the 15th :D :smuggrin: :laugh:

Anyways, the point of my post is that I clicked the submit button early. Yes the application was processed the next day, however, it was transmitted on the 14th.

There you have it. :rolleyes:

16. Lochmoor

Lochmoor Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I submitted my app very late--first week of October. I know it really hurt my application process. It took 1 month for my app to be verified, then I took about a month to recieve, complete, and send 2nd's meaning that many places my file was not complete until late Nov/early Dec. I most likely would have recieved more interviews--specifically Wake Forest if I had submitted earlier. (I called them mid-Feb and they said all interviews were sent out, but I was on the highest interview list and if someone declined an interview they would contact me.)

I would consider submitting anytime in July or before to be early, Aug-mid Sept average, after that--late.

However, when all is said and done, I do not think submitting earlier would have affected which school I'm going to--my state school.

17. winstonm

winstonm Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So schools do take into account updates to the AMCAS autobiographical info?
    I ask because in Ontario, from what I understand once you click "submit," that's it. They'll only look at updates to personal & contact info.

Thanks for the great replies and good luck to all of you this fall!

18. CUMD

CUMD Member
    7+ Year Member

The absolute first thing you should do before even submitting your AMCAS is to print out the "transcript request form" from the AMCAS application site once you have set up an account on the AMCAS site to begin your application. AMCAS is an incredibly inefficient and unorganized institution which mysteriously loses mailings. I have many friends whose applications were delayed b/c of this. If you do anything, the first thing you should do is to print out this form, give it to your college registrar's office (which will be specified on this form) and have them mail it as soon as possible. AMCAS must have your transcript in order to verify it with your application.

As for actually completing your application, I would recommend getting it done as soon as possible. Like everyone else has already said, you can list your current research position on the AMCAS application and send updates to admissions committees either during your interviews or even throughout the application cycle. Also, most schools will request your LOR's when they ask you to complete a secondary application (which will only happen once they receive your AMCAS data, another reason to apply as early as possible). The request for LORs typically doesn't occur before mid-July/early-August, so you would have plenty of time for your supervisor to write that letter.

For me, I waited until the July 4th holiday to submit my AMCAS, b/c I wanted to see my MCAT scores before I submitted my application, and I received my first acceptance in early November. However, I recommend completing your application before you get your MCAT scores and submitting it as soon as possible. You can always designate the schools to whom you want your AMCAS sent throughout the application cycle, but the limiting step in this entire process is AMCAS VERIFYING/ PROCESSSING YOUR APPLICATION.

I speak from experience, I have a very close friend with stellar stats who wasn't verified until November and is currently on waitlists with no acceptances. So, get your app in as soon as possible!

I hope that helps, and Good Luck!!!!

19. celticmists18

celticmists18 california dreaming
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    submitted early july, verified mid-july, first interview invite mid-august, first acceptance mid-october.

20. darkcity998

darkcity998 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

submitted early july, verified july, acceptance the following january.

i think the question should be "Accepted? When were you complete?" my school's LOR office was hell and so was internal processing for some med schools.

21. werd

werd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i sent in my amcas early july, it cleared early august, interviews mostly sept/oct and started getting acceptances in october. earlier is better... i'd say august is late to submit the amcas, it really gets backed up around then. good luck! :luck:

22. hakksar

hakksar Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Submitted mid June, verified by the end of June, first 2 interviews in September, offered 2 other interviews for February (in December). Accepted to top choice in December.

23. DMBFan

DMBFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what about if you are applying after your sophomore year (my school has this ED thing where you can apply after your sophomore year)? I am in the same situation as the OP..I am going to be doing research during the summer and would like to get a LOR from the advisor/supervisor. Does the same apply for these types of programs?

24. mentoz

mentoz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I submitted "late(?)" on 9/11 ... I was therefore interviewed late (on the last day at most schools) .. was still accepted to numerous top-ranking schools .. PM me if you have more questions ..

25. mentoz

mentoz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

wow, i just scanned this thread and realized i was pretty late with applications! if someone considers first week of Oct as late, then damn ... i didn't even get my secondary into UCSF until Jan 12th .. i guess i was pretty damn lucky! i still have a Stanford interview at the end of April, on the very last day of interviews ... geez, i'm really going to count my blessings now!

26. leiface

leiface i see sick people
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys, let me get this straight, when do you have to pay AMCAS for sending the primaries to the schools? How does that work? Say I don't wait for my MCAT scores but decide in the middle of the process, after getting scores back, that I want to apply next year, not this year, can I stop the application process and not get charged?

Thankeeee

27. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

I believe you can get your money back, but there's a catch. I made a grammatical error on my ps and called to ask whether I could get it back. They said yes, but I would have to wait for next cylce to apply...

28. leiface

leiface i see sick people
    7+ Year Member

So you cannot change your application after you submit it, you can only change what schools you are applying to? BTW, that blows, I'm sorry :(

29. lizzylu

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I finished my AMCAS early July (before the 4th, so I could party my a$$ off before doing secondaries). It was verified a few weeks later. Starting getting secondaries 1st weeks of August, Interviews Oct, Nov, etc... Accepted early Nov.

It was so much less stressful to have acceptances in the pocket, early. It saved me tons (and by tons I mean thousands) of $ in interview fees. So apply early, hopefully you'll get in somewhere early, and then you can be picky about your interviews!

Good luck

30. drlexygoat

drlexygoat Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sent in AMCAS in the first few weeks and had my first interview offer several weeks later. First acceptance was in Oct. It pays to submit early, folks! It realyl does!!!!!!!!!!

31. ChE_Babe

ChE_Babe Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had to wait for some grades from Africa (long story) and so I submitted around the first of October and didn't get through processing until around the first of November (first transmission date was 11/03/03).

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS!!! It has been a long and stressful year and my first acceptance came just this weekend (dated 4/20/03), and I still have another interview in May! For me, it was worth the gamble to submit late and have fewer options, because I have my husband to think about too...now he can get a job for 4 years somewhere rather than 1 year and then 4 years.

If you cannot submit early (and having a lot of options at the end of the year is important to you) you need to think about putting it off. If there are reasons you want to go next year and those are more important than having options, go ahead and apply late, but be aware that it can be frustrating.

32. MsAlaska

MsAlaska Junior Member

Submitted AMCAS on October 30th... Verified mid-Nov. Got requests for secondaries through December. Got most of my secondaries in close to the last day, last day for some schools as I had to fax one letter of rec. Was invited to interviews through early March. The nice thing about applying late was that I was evaluated and accepted soon after going to the two interviews I did go to, and got to withdraw two interview offers and save money on travelling. I would like to think that I was fresh in their minds when the admissions committee met...

"If it is worth doing, it is worth doing later"... :oops:

33. gschl1234

gschl1234 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I submitted it on Aug 9 and it was approved on Sept 11.

34. getcloned

getcloned Hilton Magician
    10+ Year Member

early august.

35. oudoc08

oudoc08 Please pass the gas...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Applied 1st of June, submitted MCAT scores mid June, and had first acceptance around mid-September, and two more by early December.

36. I submitted on June 3rd, the first day possible I think... but anything before July 1st or so is unecessarily early. It doesn't get you anywhere, you still have to be verified but secondaries don't come until mid-July and that is still early to turn in secondaries.