Accepted with an institutional action on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surf Rx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has been offered an acceptance (or even just interviews) with an institutional action on the AMCAS application? If so, what was the reason for receiving an institutional action (e.g. alcohol violation, cheating, academic probation, etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

academic probation for me...

I got caught having a black belt in keepin' it real, but I was still accepted

Members don't see this ad :)
alcohol violation here, 1 acceptance, only 1 school has brought it up during the interview

For those of you who have been accepted, in the AMCAS application, did you just merely state what the institutional action was or did you go into depth on what you learned from the experience and how you've grown from it and yadda yadda yadda? Congrats on your acceptances by the way.

i had institutional action because of file-sharing using p2p networks. since i live on campus, my university was my ISP, and thus the institutional involvement. i reported it on AMCAS, and only one school mentioned it during my interview, which happened to be my top choice school. both interviews spent around 15 to 20 minutes on the incident (what happened, why i did it, what i learned, etc), which sucked since the interviews were limited to 30 minutes. i felt horrible about my interviews since they focused on that incident and i had little time to speak of my positive attributes. well, i had pretty much given up on that school but i was accepted earlier this month.

i think the best approach to any institutional action is to be truthful, yet mature about it. i took full responsibility for what i did and said that i learned from my mistake and that i have moved on. while i don't doubt that the nature of the action has a lot to do with how the adcomms view it, i think honesty and maturity are the best policies and are viewed favorably by the adcomms.

since i'm guessing you have something on your record (or else you wouldn't be asking), mention it on your applications and make sure you can prove that you've matured since then and learned from your mistake. PM me and let me know if you have any other questions. best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
How exactly is this question stated on AMCAS? I was kicked out of my dorms for booze, but it isn't on my transcript (or record as far as i know). I've got no problem explaining the situation and all that, but it seems a bit silly bringing it up...

Members don't see this ad :)
alcohol violation here. multiple acceptances and interviews (top 20s).

On amcas--described the incident and what i learned (3-4sent) and moved on. It was brought up in two interviews and both times my interviewers had a laugh and i was later accepted.

personal take--I'm sure it depends on the incident but with a minor alcohol violation I would say just be honest and not make a moutain out of a mole hill. It certainly won't help you but I don't think it'll break you either.
all the best.

I agree entire with gonnabmd's post above.

Just explain it simply, and add a couple lines that say what you learned, (maturity, studying, ect.) I agree that some schools may redflag you application, but you have to suck it up and deal with it.

Good luck.

I had a fairly minor alcohol violation too, which I was honest about and listed on the AMCAS. I thought I'd be screwed, so I applied to way too many schools. Ended up getting offered interviews at 11 schools, going to 7 of them, and getting outright accepted at 5 of them (with small scholarships at 3).

Some of my interviewers brought it up. Some just asked me what I learned about it, and how I changed because of it. A few just laughed it off and said they did similar things during their college years. A few didn't mention anything (I think because they were closed-file interviews).

In summary, as long as it isn't a major violation (drugs, assault, DUI, etc.), or a series of violations, you'll probably be alright - so long as you're sincere in what you learned from it. It's the type of thing where it's better to be up front and honest about your mistakes, rather then try to justify them or write them off.

I guess I don't feel so bad about my alcohol violation then. Thanks everyone for the input.

i had institutional action because of file-sharing using p2p networks...i took full responsibility for what i did and said that i learned from my mistake and that i have moved on...
1. Did you tell them you stopped downloading? 2. If so, is that a lie? lol

I had an institutional action at a community college that I attended summer classes. Stupid prank of lifting an unattended laptop in corridors and got escalated to campus security. Dean put me on probation for one year, completed May 2010. Still need to mention on AMCAS or DO school apps?

Sorry, didn't mention. I volunteered to return it and did return to the guy. He withdrew the compliant and there were no charges, nor it showed up on my transcript. Nervous whether it would be a factor and my application will be weeded out based on this single thing.

One of my fellow students from last year got into med school with an IA. It was really hard for him - he had absolutely stellar EC's and a decent GPA and MCAT. He barely got accepted to our state school off the wait list in May. Couldn't tell you what he did, as I don't know, but it is possible.

Epic necro-bump. Your thread last month said it all.... 5-10 years of penance is required before a school will give the time of day to an applicant who has an academic record of cheating on an exam.
/thread

A question about cheating was posed during my last interview. It's a big freakin' deal to ADCOMS. Med students get kicked out of schools for cheating.

Non-academic violation. Fraternity related.

Got an interview through Early Decision and on the acceptable list.

I was wrongly accused and convicted of cheating on a report in college. The type of cheating was never specified by either the accusing professor or academic integrity committee. Regardless, I definitely didn't cheat in any way. 100% wrote it myself and the professor even admitted to searching for uncited sources but couldn't find any. It was total bull**** and I defended myself adamantly during my first round of applications in the little box they give you to describe the institutional action. I got flat-out rejected everywhere. This year I didn't technically admit to any wrongdoing on my applications, but I still felt like I was unjustly blackballed by having to acknowledge that I had been found guilty of academic dishonesty. I kept it brief. Yes, I included the "I learned my lesson" statement. It felt like a permanently-disabling punch to the nuts. But I'm in now, so I suppose that's all that matters. Sometimes in life you really do just have to just shut up and eat ****. Better to learn earlier than later, I guess.

If you actually violated your school's honor code, quit looking for an easy way out and just serve your penance.