1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

accepting an offer

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by jasonled, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. jasonled

    jasonled New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2005
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pharmacy Student
    I was wondering if you applied to more than one school, and a school accepts you...let's say over the phone. What do you say if you want to wait another couple weeks for another school that you wanted to get in to?
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. marrymenatalie

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2005
    Messages:
    97
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sorry, I'm confused too now. I thought that if we accept a seat in the class, then we could always back out if we wanted to go somewhere else. Somebody help here? :confused:
     
  4. OoShimmeroO

    OoShimmeroO Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2004
    Messages:
    159
    Likes Received:
    0
    You're right. Many people accept seats and pay a depost and end up backing out if they decide to go to another school. It's completly normal and expected.
     
  5. marrymenatalie

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2005
    Messages:
    97
    Likes Received:
    0
    Oops :oops: I'm sorry I turned your post into my own question, but I've heard if you want the school to let you delay your decision, it usually has to be a very good reason, perhaps financial or academic. Don't tell them you're waiting for another school because then they definitely would say no... I heard an admission counselor answer this once... However, maybe just ask them up front if you could delay it without giving them a reason...and if you have to give a reason think of a good one, such as maybe your not sure if you can get all the prereqs for next semester yet so you don't want to turn in your deposit just yet.
     
  6. xturquoise

    xturquoise Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2005
    Messages:
    67
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pharmacy Student
    If you get accepted, they usually give you some time to decide... say two weeks. If you want an even longer extension, you do need a really good explanation. I've been granted one two-week extension due to financial issues. Even the Assistant Director was surprised that the Admissions Committee granted me an extension so it must be rare that they do so. Definitely do not tell them you're waiting for another school! If they reject your request for an extension and you decide to pay the deposit, just think of it as insurance money... you'll be making it back like nothing after you graduate.

    I think it's pretty smart of schools to give you such a short time and ask for non-refundable deposits. They can make a lot of money off of us!


     

Share This Page