Accepting Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that financial aid is out for schools I was wondering what the rules are regarding when to accept them. Does accepting the financial aid award from a certain school mean we are committing ourselves to that school? What happens if you're still on wait lists?

Members don't see this ad.

Now that financial aid is out for schools I was wondering what the rules are regarding when to accept them. Does accepting the financial aid award from a certain school mean we are committing ourselves to that school? What happens if you're still on wait lists?
You have until May 15th to make a decision on acceptances you now hold. This includes financial aid offers. You may accept a waitlist position after that without penalty (unless you paid a nonrefundable deposit).

You have until May 15th to make a decision on acceptances you now hold. This includes financial aid offers. You may accept a waitlist position after that without penalty (unless you paid a nonrefundable deposit).

Thank you! I guess my main concern is accepting a financial aid award before the May 15th deadline, then getting accepted off a wait list after May 15th. Can I withdraw from the first school for the new school even if I accepted their financial aid offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I guess my main concern is accepting a financial aid award before the May 15th deadline, then getting accepted off a wait list after May 15th. Can I withdraw from the first school for the new school even if I accepted their financial aid offer?
Absolutely.

Reactions: 1 user
if I am not mistaken, as long as you havent formally matriculated in classes as school A (ie actually started orientation) you can accept a waitlist at school B.
We can't take a matriculant after orientation starts without breaking a traffic rule. Maybe two if you count the advance notification rule that we would also have to break!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is set in stone until medical school orientation. That's why us medical students get our feathers so ruffled when pre-meds claim to be "MS-0" or "pre-matriculated med student" or other stuff.

You are still a pre-med, with all the rights and privileges such as switching medical schools if a better offer comes up, until med school orientation and then you really are a committed medical student.