Accidentally submitted wrong Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dryesican

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accidentally submitted the wrong personal statement after reviewing many times I think amcas didn't save the one I uploaded last... I'm in desperate need .. has anyone had a problem similar to this ? I just submitted it and it's not verified.. is there a way I can just send them my real essay?

Members don't see this ad.

I accidentally submitted the wrong personal statement after reviewing many times I think amcas didn't save the one I uploaded last... I'm in desperate need .. has anyone had a problem similar to this ? I just submitted it and it's not verified.. is there a way I can just send them my real essay?

How people do not 15x recheck their submission I will never know.

Reactions: 11 users
You're supposed to buy a new laptop before you submit AMCAS. Your final drafts should be the only files on the new laptop. Burn every other device that has old drafts. Double check the final drafts on the new laptop. Only then should you submit AMCAS. Isn't this a sticky somewhere?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're supposed to buy a new laptop before you submit AMCAS. Your final drafts should be the only files on the new laptop. Burn every other device that has old drafts. Double check the final drafts on the new laptop. Only then should you submit AMCAS. Isn't this a sticky somewhere?
As ridiculous as this sounds, it’s cheaper than having major mistakes on your app (i.e. the cost of a cycle)

Reactions: 1 user
You have no idea how many times I checked :(( They told me I can reach out to medical schools and send them a copy of my new personal statement .. doesn’t this just look irresponsible ? The essay I submitted is missing a paragraph .. is it better to just stick to it or send a new copy ?

You have no idea how many times I checked :(( They told me I can reach out to medical schools and send them a copy of my new personal statement .. doesn’t this just look irresponsible ? The essay I submitted is missing a paragraph .. is it better to just stick to it or send a new copy ?
What did the missing paragraph cover?

If they allow you to send the new copy it’s obviously preferred. Call ASAP, I’d blame on technical issues.

Reactions: 1 users
It kind of put my ideas together and showed how a strong community can have an impact

So its your concluding paragraph?

It's a hard call. It may look irresponsible, but maybe the staff won't tell the actually committee what happened? I don't think tech issues is a good excuse - you can easily look at your AMCAS pdf before submitting, and if you had not saved your essay you would have seen it there. Astute staff could call you out on that bs.

So its your concluding paragraph?

It's a hard call. It may look irresponsible, but maybe the staff won't tell the actually committee what happened? I don't think tech issues is a good excuse - you can easily look at your AMCAS pdf before submitting, and if you had not saved your essay you would have seen it there. Astute staff could call you out on that bs.

It’s the paragraph before my concluding paragraph .. I think I’ll just call the medical schools and ask what they recommend

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, people are much more willing to help you if you own up to your mistakes. If you choose to send the correct copy, I would be honest with the staff and just tell them you sent the wrong copy and leave it at that. If you make excuses about technical errors and stuff they are much more likely to say no to uploading the correct document and to make a note of the fact that you can't own up to your mistakes and don't read things carefully (not saying this in a mean way...everyone makes mistakes!).

After having read the essays, I'd strongly suggest you leave it be. IMO the missing portion really does't add much. I'll PM you with some other comments regarding the essay.

Reactions: 2 users
I would call and explain, if it’s a technical issue. Last year, I accidentally submitted a completely blank secondary to my top choice. I freaked out and called the school after 2 minutes (sobbed for 90 seconds thinking my life was over, followed by 30 seconds of ‘oh s***, now how do I fix this?’) and explained the mistake, fully acknowledging that I made a mistake. They let me email my secondary. I will now be attending this school.

Obviously, it’s not the same, this is your primary, but I think it’s worth calling even if it draws attention to it. Technical issues do happen, humans and computers don’t always work together smoothly.

Now if the essay’s narrative doesn’t suffer, move on and congratulate yourself on finishing your primary.

Reactions: 3 users
After having read the essays, I'd strongly suggest you leave it be. IMO the missing portion really does't add much. I'll PM you with some other comments regarding the essay.

Thank you so much!! I'm confident about my activities section so hopefully it'll be ok!

on a side note, do personal statements play a big role in the process? I remember calling a (ranked) school to talk about my application (I was rejected) and I asked about the personal statement and they said it plays almost no part in the admissions process.

Do you think it was just this school or is this common? @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif

on a side note, do personal statements play a big role in the process? I remember calling a (ranked) school to talk about my application (I was rejected) and I asked about the personal statement and they said it plays almost no part in the admissions process.

Do you think it was just this school or is this common? @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif

My understanding is that a personal statement is not going to be the thing that pushes you over the edge to get an interview. However, a poor one can definitely push you over the edge the other way.

Oh no. This is a good reminder to others to not rush to submit the second it opens. Being early is important, but there isn’t much difference in those that submitted on May 31 vs. June 7th.

OP, the person that read both essays said leave it be. Go with that.

Oh no. This is a good reminder to others to not rush to submit the second it opens. Being early is important, but there isn’t much difference in those that submitted on May 31 vs. June 7th.

OP, the person that read both essays said leave it be. Go with that.

The application is open to fill out well before you can submit. You have plenty of time to check and re-check before the submit button appears. It's not like there's a mad dash to paste your essay and hit submit.

If anyone here can look at my essays I would greatly appreciate it!

I'm also happy to take a look. I don't think it will be a big deal as long as your overall message of why medicine is clear, but I can check of you like! Also, don't adcoms take like 5-10 min to skim the essays? lol

My understanding is that a personal statement is not going to be the thing that pushes you over the edge to get an interview. However, a poor one can definitely push you over the edge the other way.
So I have been mulling over perfecting my essay, which delayed my submission quiet a bit. Should I just submit it after maybe 4-5 look overs from people? I have everything ready to go except the essay.

So I have been mulling over perfecting my essay, which delayed my submission quiet a bit. Should I just submit it after maybe 4-5 look overs from people? I have everything ready to go except the essay.

If those people know what they're talking about, then yeah.

This.
Pre-meds invest almost magical qualities into PS's.
I have opened up my PS on google doc. It feels like an endlessly cycle of edits and revisions. At what point do you know it will be good enough?

I have opened up my PS on google doc. It feels like an endlessly cycle of edits and revisions. At what point do you know it will be good enough?
When all your reviewers give you the thums up. At some point, you have **** or get off the pot. Same thing holds true for research papers.

So if an average personal statement has almost no impact on the decision to get an interview, do schools more favorably value the work and activities section? Also are secondary essays super important or are those similar to personal statements where as long as you're average and don't stand out in a bad way it won't make much of a difference?

The application is open to fill out well before you can submit. You have plenty of time to check and re-check before the submit button appears. It's not like there's a mad dash to paste your essay and hit submit.

Exactly.

Not everyone is able to begin a full month ahead of submission opening, and it seems that whenever they do begin many still rush to submit the first day(s) instead of ensuring they apply with their strongest app, even if that means it will take a few more days.

I would call and explain, if it’s a technical issue. Last year, I accidentally submitted a completely blank secondary to my top choice. I freaked out and called the school after 2 minutes (sobbed for 90 seconds thinking my life was over, followed by 30 seconds of ‘oh s***, now how do I fix this?’) and explained the mistake, fully acknowledging that I made a mistake. They let me email my secondary. I will now be attending this school.

Obviously, it’s not the same, this is your primary, but I think it’s worth calling even if it draws attention to it. Technical issues do happen, humans and computers don’t always work together smoothly.

Now if the essay’s narrative doesn’t suffer, move on and congratulate yourself on finishing your primary.

This happened to me only I had no idea it was blank until I think it was Jefferson emailed me saying most of my essay was missing. I got an II so it worked out in the end, but ahh! Lol