theaccountant_
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an accountant who wants to go down the premed path. I've been working as an accountant for a few years now and after earning an MS in Accounting I now know that this isn't the right career for me. For the past month, I've been doing research on med school and how to get in. I've made a plan to complete the prereqs within the next 2-3 years that leaves more than enough time for extracurriculars (research, volunteer, clinical hours) and ample time for MCAT studying.
However, I just discovered that AMCAS does not replace a D/F with the new grade from retaking it. This brought my already weak 3.1 undergrad GPA to a 2.9. For my first two years of undergrad, I performed very poorly and finished with a 2.1. I then transferred to another university and finished with a 3.7 GPA there. I know some schools value an upward trend but will I even get past the first screening with a low GPA?
I feel very discouraged now that even if I earn all As on my postbacc courses, the most my GPA will rise to is a 3.1. I earned a 3.9 for my MS in accounting but it doesn't help my undergraduate GPA. Will a postbacc GPA of 3.7-4.0 make up for my below average GPA? I'd like to know if I still have a good chance at med school before I begin taking prereqs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am scheduled to begin my first 2 prereq science courses this spring semester.
However, I just discovered that AMCAS does not replace a D/F with the new grade from retaking it. This brought my already weak 3.1 undergrad GPA to a 2.9. For my first two years of undergrad, I performed very poorly and finished with a 2.1. I then transferred to another university and finished with a 3.7 GPA there. I know some schools value an upward trend but will I even get past the first screening with a low GPA?
I feel very discouraged now that even if I earn all As on my postbacc courses, the most my GPA will rise to is a 3.1. I earned a 3.9 for my MS in accounting but it doesn't help my undergraduate GPA. Will a postbacc GPA of 3.7-4.0 make up for my below average GPA? I'd like to know if I still have a good chance at med school before I begin taking prereqs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am scheduled to begin my first 2 prereq science courses this spring semester.