Accreditation of specialty programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janeno

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was searching through ASHP and ACCP websites, and noticed that some specialty residency programs (PGY 2) are not accredited by ASHP. How important is accreditation of these specialty programs especially for a future job search? Would it be a waste of a year to complete a 2nd year residency at non-accredited program but from a well-known school (ex. transplant from U of Pittsburgh hospital)?

Members don't see this ad.

most specialty residencies were not and are not accredited. you need a pgy1 to get them now though, so i think your pgy1 would suffice.

pgy2 is to give you the experience in more depth. however, i think a pgy1 by iteself is plenty to get you into clinical specialty jobs especially if you used the electives in a pgy1 to your advantage.

It really depends on the preceptor - if you have amazing staff to work with on a pgy2 it isn't so important that it be accredited.

some programs choose not to pursue accreditation because they aren't interested in some of the limitations or stipulations placed by ASHP to achieve accreditation.