Accreditation process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Painfellow2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting an academic pain fellowship this summer. Per the program director the fellowship is currently in the process of applying for accreditation. It seems that they have everything in place as far as I can tell. Ideally the program is accredited by the time I start or during my fellowship but I guess I can concerned about what will happen if the process is completed after I complete the year. Will I be retroactively eligible in that case scenario? I emailed and already asked the American Board of Anesthesiology and they asked me to direct the question to the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Board. I have yet to hear back from them but I wanted to see if anyone here had a similar experience or an opinion regarding this matter. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

just got an answer from the PM&R board.
"When the ACGME makes an accreditation decision regarding a program they set an effective date for the accreditation. Depending on the timing of the decision (Winter or Summer), the effective date may cover your training time."

Members don't see this ad :)
So no, you may not get ACGME credit for your fellowship. Don't count your accreditation before it hatches.

That's sucks...did you accept this unde the impression it would be ACGME accredited?

That's sucks...did you accept this unde the impression it would be ACGME accredited?

I knew it could be a possible issue. But in my position it was worth the risk. The training is excellent and I will be happy at the program. The PD has told me that every likely they will have the accreditation this summer but will see.

I will be in Texas. I would rather keep further details private. Thank you.

just got an answer from the PM&R board.
"When the ACGME makes an accreditation decision regarding a program they set an effective date for the accreditation. Depending on the timing of the decision (Winter or Summer), the effective date may cover your training time."

That answer is still nebulous. If the effective date is after you have already started, you may have to repeat any training prior to the effective date.