accredited fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jok200

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the fellowships available to pm&r?
Which fellowships are acgme accredited ?
Which are not accredited ?

Sorry but I have been having trouble figuring out which fellowships are actually accredited??? Pain, sports medicine etc... I still don't know what are all the pm&r fellowships???

thanks-

Members don't see this ad.

Check out AAPM&R's fellowship database
http://www.aapmr.org/member/felsearch.htm

SCI and Peds are the most common pure PM&R ACGME accredited fellowships. Spine is usually unaccredited, Pain is multidisciplinary but typically is run by anesthesia with a few exceptions (Colorado, UCLA/VA, MCV I think). Sports is typically accredited through FP, but there are some PM&R ones.

The short answer to your question is there are numerous different types of fellowships available (as illustrated by the above database) but accred. varies and may be administered by a different speciality (neurology mostly for neuromuscular, anesthesia mostly for pain).

What are the fellowships available to pm&r?
Which fellowships are acgme accredited ?
Which are not accredited ?

Sorry but I have been having trouble figuring out which fellowships are actually accredited??? Pain, sports medicine etc... I still don't know what are all the pm&r fellowships???

thanks-

WOW... okay after searching the ACGME page their are only 3 programs in PM&R that are accredited for PM&R:

1)sports medicine
2)SCI
3)pediatric rehad

THAT IS RIDICULOUS !!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
pain is not a pm&r fellowship, it is an anesthesiology fellowship that is accredited and accepts pm&r residents. The fellowships i stated above are pure pm&r fellowships at least according to the acgme.

-If i a wrong please correct me because honestly it is plain stupid that their are so many fellowships but so few are actually accredited.

Thanks-

I believe several things are at play here.

Up until about 10 years ago, fellowships post-PM&R residency were rare. Everyone was a generalist, but tailored their practice to suit themselves. Then fellowships became popular and they started popping up.

Then ABMS and/or ACGME decided there need to be a lot stricter criteria for a certified fellowships, making that certification harder to get.

Now combine that with many/most PM&R chairmen being "old school" and still wanting to churn out inpatient rehabilitationologists :)D) and they don't really want all these fancy new fellowships that would make Physiatrists less generalist.

Thanks for the enlightenment... that explains everything.

-Thanks