1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Accredited Vs. Non-accredited

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by SuperTech, Nov 21, 2005.

1. SuperTech

SuperTech Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I have a dilemma... would you go to a rx school that is accredited but it's located across the country or stay in your home state and go to a rx school that is non-accredited??? please help! I'm so confused.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. janbran

janbran Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hello Supertech,

Well, congratulation on all the acceptance....Going on to your question...Well, you must be refered to TOURO & Midwestern (Chicago) right? I guess the best way to decide would be to sit down and list all the factors that are important to you during the next 4 years of your life. For example, how were the campuses compare one to the other (friendliness, easy accessible to grocery, restaurant...etc...). I mean you still need a life though. I think although TOURO is not accredited yet, I'm sure it's a good school becuz of other professional program that it already had (osteopathic...). And then in 3 years, it will definitely get accredited.

Hypothetically, lets say you got accepted to UCSD (NOT accredited yet), would you still worry? I wouldn't. Becuz it's a good school and already had other programs established there for a long time....You would probably pick UCSD among other accredited schools right.

Back to the question....So after listing all the factors/qualities, I would assign a point-system, which ever school has more points, I would go there. I wish I'm in your position now and have the same dilemma that you do. It must feel good knowing that all these schools WANT you right?

Well, if the dilemma happen to me, I would pick TOURO, not just because it's in state and I don't have to move far, but since both program require 4 years, I like TOURO 's 2 years of experiential program, which I think would allow me to learn more and better prepare myself to be a GREAT pharmacist. It's also important to attend school where the professor actually care about their students and from all the comments, it sounded that TOURO provided all that.
    Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

4. calrx

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I just read the roll call post so I assume you're referring to Touro and Midwestern-Chicago. I know you're probably looking for someone to give you the "right" answers, but honestly only you can make this decision for yourself. Try to remember how you felt when you visited each of the schools. Your "gut" feeling counts for a lot. I would also recommend grabbing a pen and a piece of paper and making a list of Pros and Cons for the two schools. Writing things down will help you organize your thoughts about each school. I think visualizing the facts helps. As far as the accreditation thing goes, how much longer until Touro becomes fully accredited? Having the choice, I would personally much rather be at a place thats fully established and accredited. Location should play a role in your decision, but don't let it be the deciding factor. Ultimately, I believe that if you really like both of these schools and walked away with positive vibes, that in the long run you would be very happy and successful at either school. :luck:

5. SuperTech

SuperTech Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you for your great advise... The thing is, I also have a husband (of 3 years) that would stay in San Diego (where I'm from) and work while I go to school. Touro is just so convenient since it's only an hour flight plus its a lot cheaper. I liked Touro - the staff and students were nice and small class size. I am just worried that it'll be another Hawaii disaster. I was leaning more towards Shenandoah (Virginia), I felt "at home" when I visited/interviewed. I just don't think I can handle weather in Chicago (the wind chill factor - yikes!).I don't know anymore. I guess I should start my list - really soon...

6. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I haven't seen any other new schools with HICP type red flags. Touro seems to be opening responsibly. New schools are not going to have the benefit of well established curriculum, organizational affiliations (ie: clubs), a seasoned faculty, etc. Basically, you are going into a school which hasn't yet got a repuatation, so what you get is pot luck. But, if it fits better for your family, then it may be the place for you. I agree that how it feels when you interview is key.