accuracy of Qvault sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lwergod

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is everyone's thoughts in Qvault's representation of the actual DAT for the sciences, specifically OC/GC?

I feel as though GC may be somewhat on point, but lacks much variation among the tests. But I suppose if the DAT has the same amount of variation, then that doesn't really matter in terms of actual representation.

The OC feels somewhat off-base in content. There are some weird reagents that were not covered by chad's/destroyer/BC.

my avg for all 10 OC tests, is around a 21+.(first 3 were easy af, scored >26, the latter 7 is where things got a little wonky)

GC so far is a 24.

Members don't see this ad.

I only used qvault's OC and math to prepare so I can't speak to how they are overall. The biggest thing is that the actual DAT uses a lot of condensed formulas instead of lines showing where bonds are at you will get a question stem like "(CH3CH2)2CH2OCOCH3 + NaOH yeilds what product ..." on the actual test that really threw me off, so I would look for practice tests that have the same format.

Another piece of advice is that the ADA has modules and and the full length practice tests for sale. I'm sure that you're quite aware that the full length test is $100 and the modules are $20. For the QR section the content that BC had was not even close to what the actual DAT was like. I had a little over two weeks to study for this so I decided early on to accept reasonable loss on certain sections, i.e. put my effort into sections where I had enough time to really improve. I bought the QR module which gives you one attempt and a calculated DAT score at the end to gauge what kind of questions would likely be on the actual test. Qvault was closer to the real thing and also had solutions to explain how the problems should be worked. I used that to prepare and walked away with a 19 whereas I was getting 15s and below using the BC practice tests. I don't think I would have done acceptably well on the QR section just using BC alone.

I know that on the day of the actual test that there were wild cards thrown in in the bio section where I had literally no idea what the question was even talking about. I don't really remember seeing anything in the OC section for the first time that really had me confused in terms of reagents or reactions in general. It's possible that they will throw in one or two wild card questions into the test that will surface in OC. But they could just as easily show up on the bio or GC section.

Reactions: 1 user