Accurate pharmacist salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverstudying

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Google and most "salary" websites say the ''avg salary'' in my area is 110k per year. However the actual pharmacist salaries of real pharmacists is much higher.

CVS/Walgreens RPh's actually are at 140-150k. And those who seek other jobs in various settings say the hospital jobs are about 125k at the least. (in my area)

Are pharmacists getting paid more nationwide? Whats the real trend?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder how are they calculating the salary. If we are paid hourly, then do they estimate 40 hours per week for 52 weeks in a year?
Then there are people who work extra shifts once a while, work extra hours, ended up getting more.

It depends on the base hours, where you work and years of experience.

At 2080 hours I would find it very hard to believe any recent grad pharmacist is making 150k a year in chain retail in the NE (maybe except rural Maine?) especially if they are starting off at ~110k. 150k for new grads seems more plausible in the southwest (Texas border not including El Paso) and some parts of California, among others.

In my current area and company new or recent grads are at 62-66 per hour.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how are they calculating the salary. If we are paid hourly, then do they estimate 40 hours per week for 52 weeks in a year?
Then there are people who work extra shifts once a while, work extra hours, ended up getting more.
I'm not su
It depends on the base hours, where you work and years of experience.

At 2080 hours I would find it very hard to believe any recent grad pharmacist is making 150k a year in chain retail in the NE (maybe except rural Maine?) especially if they are starting off at ~110k. 150k for new grads seems more plausible in the southwest (Texas border not including El Paso) and some parts of California, among others.

In my current area and company new or recent grads are at 62-66 per hour.

Ah, surprising thing is, I actually know a recent grad (class of 2014) who made 150k last year at wal-greens.

I'm not su

Ah, surprising thing is, I actually know a recent grad (class of 2014) who made 150k last year at wal-greens.

That's not the norm...he's doing OT or part-timing at another job.

Don't forget not all pharmacists are getting 40 hours a week (ie floaters). If its a poll those getting 4 days per week will bring the average down.

I can say I made 175k pre-tax in one year (which is true) but I was working 50+ hours a week. The per-hour rate (pre-OT) for ONE job makes more sense for rough comparisons.

That's not the norm...he's doing OT or part-timing at another job.

Does a high volume store make more? I think he mentioned that he had some type of bonus too. I don't know the exact details but he doesn't work more than 40 hours weekly.

Does a high volume store make more? I think he mentioned that he had some type of bonus too. I don't know the exact details but he doesn't work more than 40 hours weekly.

No...bonuses are non existent or very small unless you are the PIC. A good estimate for salary is 90k-130k...hospital----->retail/unicorn clinical jobs.

Don't believe your friends when they tell you salary----the majority of them are lying. People lie alot.

No...bonuses are non existent or very small unless you are the PIC. A good estimate for salary is 90k-130k...hospital----->retail/unicorn clinical jobs.

Don't believe your friends when they tell you salary----the majority of them are lying. People lie alot.

Maybe my area is unique compared to majority of the US. Apparently, recruiting straight out of sch its to the point of the pharmacy manager asking every one they knew "know any pharmacist". They didn't even

Maybe my area is unique. CVS and WG is understaffed. (CVS in particular). I thought it was kind of crazy that the pharmacy manager was always asking people "do you know any pharmacists?" ....on top of complaining that the graduate classes from the state school were too small.

Maybe my area is unique compared to majority of the US. Apparently, recruiting straight out of sch its to the point of the pharmacy manager asking every one they knew "know any pharmacist". They didn't even

Maybe my area is unique. CVS and WG is understaffed. (CVS in particular). I thought it was kind of crazy that the pharmacy manager was always asking people "do you know any pharmacists?" ....on top of complaining that the graduate classes from the state school were too small.

Nah..your area is not that unique trust me...unless you're at the border of Texas/Mexico.

Looking at your non-existent post history....you seem like a troll though.

Everyone...this is a troll thread. Please feed carefully...and only feed water and bread...nothing fancy.

Everyone...this is a troll thread. Please feed carefully...and only feed water and bread...nothing fancy.

A troll? th
I can say I made 175k pre-tax in one year (which is true) but I was working 50+ hours a week. The per-hour rate (pre-OT) for ONE job makes more sense for rough comparisons.

Nah..your area is not that unique trust me...unless you're at the border of Texas/Mexico.

Looking at your non-existent post history....you seem like a troll though.

Someone has already stated they made 175k in a year. And no, I'm not at the mexican border but I do believe if you work at CVS or Walgreens theres not way in hell in 2016 anyone is getting 90k.

Members don't see this ad :)
A troll? th

Someone has already stated they made 175k in a year. And no, I'm not at the mexican border but I do believe if you work at CVS or Walgreens theres not way in hell in 2016 anyone is getting 90k.

That's with OT--that's not a normal rph salary. OT is pretty rare these days. So, no...that 175k isn't based on 40 hour work-week.

Who says stuff like this? Lmao....you're a troll.

That's with OT--that's not a normal rph salary. OT is pretty rare these days. So, no...that 175k isn't based on 40 hour work-week.

Who says stuff like this? Lmao....you're a troll.

OT is rare? I worked as a tech. It was pretty rare if there wasn't at least one location that was short a floater or just needed help. The overnighters could practically work their whole week off if they wanted to. and I haven't said anything untruthful.

Google and most "salary" websites say the ''avg salary'' in my area is 110k per year. However the actual pharmacist salaries of real pharmacists is much higher.

CVS/Walgreens RPh's actually are at 140-150k. And those who seek other jobs in various settings say the hospital jobs are about 125k at the least. (in my area)

No. 110-130k 40h weeks retail staff. Basing your income to stay permanently high on OT is pretty dumb.

Reactions: 2 users
OT is rare? I worked as a tech. It was pretty rare if there wasn't at least one location that was short a floater or just needed help. The overnighters could practically work their whole week off if they wanted to. and I haven't said anything untruthful.

OT is rare these days and many chains do not pay 1.5x anymore unless state laws dictates this. You don't know the field like you think you do. Job market is highly saturated with many part-timers for Walgreens. They just reduced their OT pay from +10 to +5/hr. They will give these hours to part-timers before anyone gets OT. It happens but not the norm anymore.

An overnighter working their week off for a different company...not the same company...and that would be considered working two jobs...not OT.

and I haven't said anything untruthful.

Yea..no one goes online and tells lies....

OP, what is the point of your post? Areas that are short on people are short for a reason. Areas that are saturated are saturated for a reason. Compensation varies based on this. No ****.

My base is 150k based on a 40 hour work week but no one works just 40 hours..

Assuming a normal full time schedule without heavy OT or being manager, as well as not counting Cali/super rural/undesirable areas that pay more, the general trend appears to be that the chains will pay between 115-130k. It is all heavily region specific however. Most staffs I know are making upper 50s/hr.

if you go to new jersey or new york big chain, salary is dropping to low 50s per hour

Desert areas in socal pay high 60s to low 70s retail. Lots of OT too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you are married or are a single parent, wouldn't it make sense to not want to make over 150k to be in a lower tax bracket? I know 28% and 25% isn't a big gap but over the course of your career (30 or 40 years) it could add up to a pretty decent chunk of change.

If you are married or are a single parent, wouldn't it make sense to not want to make over 150k to be in a lower tax bracket? I know 28% and 25% isn't a big gap but over the course of your career (30 or 40 years) it could add up to a pretty decent chunk of change.

No. Common misconception that I had before SDN schooled me. Our tax system is progressive and you only get the higher bracket on amounts made above the thresholds. You can miss out on some deductions (like student loan interest for example) but I doubt it is ever enough to warrant wanting to make less money to begin with.

Reactions: 4 users
Desert areas in socal pay high 60s to low 70s retail. Lots of OT too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
This is accurate in the desert socal 65-67 for staff. 70-73 for manager the big 3. Depends how close to the metro you are. The further you are to LA/SD, the higher the pay by 1-3 dollars (I see as high as 77/hr in BFE for manager).

No. Common misconception that I had before SDN schooled me. Our tax system is progressive and you only get the higher bracket on amounts made above the thresholds. You can miss out on some deductions (like student loan interest for example) but I doubt it is ever enough to warrant wanting to make less money to begin with.

nm misread your post

The answer to your question is:

IT DEPENDS

Hourly Rate
Hours worked per week
Bonus
OT
Stock Options
Holiday Pay
Amount of experience
Length of service with your employer.

This year it looks like I'll be around 185K. I work in the NE in a busy urban store as a PIC and I work 44.5 hours per week. I got a really nice bonus this year, did well with my options, picked up just a little OT You could work 30 hours a week as a floater where you don't get a bonus or stock options and you don't have to work OT and you could bring in 82K per year. So it depends on too many factors. I think the new grads this year got in the mid 50's per hour. I don't know if they all got 40 hour base pay. I'm not a new grad. I have been a pharmacist for 34 years and 15 years with my current employer.

1982 = $12.50/hour (independent)
2001 = $28.00/hour (independent)
2001 = $33.50/hour (CVS)
2016 = more than double 2001

definitely depends...
I live in Socal.
Kaiser RPh make the most=$78 per hour
CVS/Rite Aid about $65 per hour
Grocery Stores=61 per hour

Independents vary a lot, as do Hospital.
I want to say I say most Indy's averaging $55 per hour. Hospital in the $60-$64 range.

Hard to say, I see some RPh with properties, living it up. New grads begging for hours and jobs, while driving all over the place and getting used and abused by chains...

All about who you know that gets you places..

definitely depends...
I live in Socal.
Kaiser RPh make the most=$78 per hour
CVS/Rite Aid about $65 per hour
Grocery Stores=61 per hour

Independents vary a lot, as do Hospital.
I want to say I say most Indy's averaging $55 per hour. Hospital in the $60-$64 range.

Hard to say, I see some RPh with properties, living it up. New grads begging for hours and jobs, while driving all over the place and getting used and abused by chains...

All about who you know that gets you places..

no way rite aid pays the same as CVS now and I thought Kaiser pharmacists made $70 starting off not $78

I remember my CVS offer letter. It gave me the salary based on 42 hour work week. These days you are not guaranteed to get those 42 hours. So that is useless.

Anyway, listen to Old Timer unless you are in CA. His info is spot on.

The only thing I have to add is that finally, your years of experience might actually matter to some employers. At one point, new grads were getting even higher salaries than older pharmacists because salaries were jumping year to year so much and chains needed to attract new grads. Pharmacists had to switch companies to get higher rates.

no way rite aid pays the same as CVS now and I thought Kaiser pharmacists made $70 starting off not $78

You thought wrong about Kaiser.
You are right about CVS-Rite Aid. But the difference is really negligible. both pay 65 and up. My friend is a PIC in LA at Rite Aid, makes 68. CVS PIC make 70ish

You thought wrong about Kaiser.
You are right about CVS-Rite Aid. But the difference is really negligible. both pay 65 and up. My friend is a PIC in LA at Rite Aid, makes 68. CVS PIC make 70ish

rite aid in socal is unionized, used to pay like 61 or 62 just over a year ago, no way they jumped up to 65+ in such a short time... or r u talking about managers

Lowest I've personally seen/heard of: $45/hr (what they wanted to offer me as new grad/hospital staff; I negotiated a higher rate).
Highest: $86/hr (director position)

This is in the same geographic region, so obviously there can be quite a range depending on job title and experience.

I remember my CVS offer letter. It gave me the salary based on 42 hour work week. These days you are not guaranteed to get those 42 hours. So that is useless.

Anyway, listen to Old Timer unless you are in CA. His info is spot on.

The only thing I have to add is that finally, your years of experience might actually matter to some employers. At one point, new grads were getting even higher salaries than older pharmacists because salaries were jumping year to year so much and chains needed to attract new grads. Pharmacists had to switch companies to get higher rates.

From what I hear around 40% of new grads are getting floating positions. 20% are getting FT positions and 40% havn't found work yet or are going into PGY to put off unemployment. I expect at least 80% of new grads in 2020 to be only able to find floating positions.

This is a result of slightly reduced jobs available and a massive surplus of new pharmDs being printed.

The answer to your question is:

IT DEPENDS

Hourly Rate
Hours worked per week
Bonus
OT
Stock Options
Holiday Pay
Amount of experience
Length of service with your employer.

This year it looks like I'll be around 185K. I work in the NE in a busy urban store as a PIC and I work 44.5 hours per week. I got a really nice bonus this year, did well with my options, picked up just a little OT You could work 30 hours a week as a floater where you don't get a bonus or stock options and you don't have to work OT and you could bring in 82K per year. So it depends on too many factors. I think the new grads this year got in the mid 50's per hour. I don't know if they all got 40 hour base pay. I'm not a new grad. I have been a pharmacist for 34 years and 15 years with my current employer.

1982 = $12.50/hour (independent)
2001 = $28.00/hour (independent)
2001 = $33.50/hour (CVS)
2016 = more than double 2001

you should have started an independent and earned ~250k a year instead of slaving away for chains your whole life grandfather-bro.

Wow. Amazing to me how few people with our level of education do not understand the tax system
These people vote. Someone give me a drink.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow. Amazing to me how few people with our level of education do not understand the tax system

Did you mean to say how many people don't understand? Because if few people do not understand, that would mean many people do understand, so...

Reactions: 5 users
You are really out of touch .

You are really out of touch .

Well, that's true if you're paying marginal rates that it does not really matter (even at a higher marginal 28%) until about $300k. But, if you make between $300k and $500k, your effective tax rate is around 35% due to basically paying the regular plus the AMT "penalty", so you either try for going even higher past $500 to get a weirdly lower effective rate or make just under the AMT exemption cap. However, we're the beneficiaries of a tax act change that increased the AMT index limits (thank you, W!). You really need to make certain tax considerations if your household makes in the range of a household $480k or married separately at $240k single. I don't personally have that problem but am married to someone who does and it's a tax attorney tossup whether we file together or separate that year. It's just that in today's time, a pharmacist would very rarely make above the AMT exemption line unless they owned a consultancy or their own business. Law firms, make it a point though to structure their equity partner payouts so that there are feast and "famine" years to pay as little tax on their winnings as possible. That's part of the reason why deferred compensation is structured the way it is when you promote up the chain or in academic management to minimize tax exposure (as well as ensure working loyalty from the promise of such a payoff).

you should have started an independent and earned ~250k a year instead of slaving away for chains your whole life grandfather-bro.

When the time came, you couldn't start vs the chains. I had a right of first refusal to buy the store I was working at. We had an agreed upon price. Eckard came by and offered 250K more than our agreed upon price. Chains were buying independents as fast as they could to get bigger. I couldn't match. I've done fine. The only regret I have is that I didn't have much of a retirement fund as I was living week to week and saving very little.... I rarely look back. My life turned out Ok. I make a great deal of money, my kids graduate from college w/o debt I have a vacation home. I have great wife. I have an amazing 18 month old granddaughter who lights up when she sees me. My life is really good. My retirement won't be grand, but I won't starve..... Shrouds have no pockets, you can't take any money with you when you die.

Reactions: 6 users
Did you mean to say how many people don't understand? Because if few people do not understand, that would mean many people do understand, so...

lol...at least I know the difference between few and many (all pharmacists should know this)

Anyways, I guess being highly educated in the field of pharmacy means I somehow should automatically have the knowledge of how taxes work. Looks like I have some adulting to do soon.

This is why I love you owl.

lol...at least I know the difference between few and many (all pharmacists should know this)

Anyways, I guess being highly educated in the field of pharmacy means I somehow should automatically have the knowledge of how taxes work. Looks like I have some adulting to do soon.

I expect any college graduate to understand at least the very basics of our tax system.

To be fair man, anyone making our kind of money should be aware of basic tax law. Imagine if you were offered a directorship and turned it down because you mistakenly thought you would lose money!

Guess this is what I get for typing up a response at work

Sorry, man. Unforgivable. Gonna need your license by Friday.

Reactions: 3 users
Well I haven't started working yet. Ive never made more than $12 an hour my entire life. I do know how it works now thanks to Owl and some research. Its just something that I've never thought about until recently.

Well I haven't started working yet. Ive never made more than $12 an hour my entire life. I do know how it works now thanks to Owl and some research. Its just something that I've never thought about until recently.
Don't mind anyone else, everyone has to learn something for the first time. Better to ask than remain ignorant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile