Accutane and Ulcerative Colitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

Iquitos

Has anyone heard of this happening in response to accutane? Apparently she had to have her colon removed. I have never heard of this before. :eek:

Drug lawsuit
Layton woman awarded $10.5M
She said she became ill after taking the acne medication Accutane
By Lisa Rosetta
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 04/25/2008 07:04:34 AM MDT

A Layton woman who says she got inflammatory bowel disease after taking Accutane was awarded $10.5 million in damages this week in a New Jersey state court.
Kamie Kendall, 24, who began taking Accutane to treat acne when she was 12, is the third person who has taken the drug to file suit and win a judgment against Roche. Between the three cases, the pharmaceutical company has been ordered to pay $26 million in damages.
"It [IBD] is a very difficult disease to deal with," said one of Kendall's attorneys, Mike Hook, of Pensacola, Fla., who is representing 450 other clients - including as many as 20 Utahns - who say they also experienced the condition after taking the drug.
"We're three and zero. Most pharmaceutical cases, the plaintiffs typically don't start out on the winning side," he said.
Kendall took Accutane off and on between 1997 and 2004 for cystic acne. In 1999, she was diagnosed with IBD, and six years later had her colon removed, Hook said. Since then, she has suffered from chronic diarrhea.
After hearing more than a dozen witnesses - including David Sachar, a doctor who chairs the Food and Drug Administration's advisory committee on gastroenterology - a jury found that Accutane causes IBD and that Roche's failure to provide an adequate warning on its drug label was a proximate cause of Kendall developing it.
The drug's link to IBD is "information the company knew . . . and didn't share," Hook said.
Roche, meanwhile, argues the Accutane labeling has contained a warning about inflammatory bowel disease for more than 20 years.
"The cause of inflammatory bowel disease remains unknown and there is no reliable scientific evidence that Accutane causes inflammatory bowel disease," Roche released in a statement. "The company believes it has significant grounds for appeal and will pursue them."
Approved by the FDA in 1982 to treat severe acne, Accutane has been linked to other problems, including birth defects and psychiatric problems. David Graham, associate director for science and medicine in the FDA's Office of Drug Safety, has recommended the market withdrawal of the drug.
Hook, who will try two more Accutane cases in July, said the plaintiffs won't collect on the damages "until the appeals run the process," he said. "But we feel very confident on the appeal and feel justice will ultimately be served."
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Holy hell. That didn't happen to me, thank God. Its nasty stuff, though.

She should sue her parents for giving her bad genes which caused the Acne in the in the first place. This is unbelievable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is my story on this drug...

Freshman year of high school, I had acne all over my back, neck, and deep cysts over my face. My self confidence hurt, my parents brought me to a dermatologist who prescribed me Accutane. I took it for 5 months, had to get a blood test every month, but during the 5th blood test, the results showed my liver was being damaged by the drug. I was taken off and everything returned to normal. Three years later, during the summer of my senior year I was having more acne problems and insisted that I take the medicine again despite the warnings from my doctor and parents. Everything was fine until a month into the treatment when I started to hear sounds during the night that sounded like someone was talking in the kitchen. After walking through the kitchen I realized no one was there. Puzzled, I returned to sleep. This would continue however as I kept hearing and seeing things that I thought was there, but when I looked closely it was gone. Like a shadow that escaped so quickly you could just see the edge before it disappeared. Slowly, I would have very violent thoughts during the day, like I needed, I urged to hurt someone (myself even), to maim someone.
The urges would not stop, it was a steady whisper to hurt, to just grab a knife and stab someone, so that my urge would be relived.

It finally occurred to me that maybe it wasnt me but the medicine i was taking. The day I realized this I knew I had to stop taking this drug, but I hated the ugly acne on my face and I wanted to not have people look at my acne so I continued anyway. The urges grew worse until I started to attack my mother, and my father restrained me as I fought him, tearing at him with my nails, kicking and punching furiously. My mother gave me some tranquillizer and I slept for a day or two. I received psychiatric treatment after that episode and since graduated high school and now I am in my 4 year of college.

The only lasting effects are the urges to inflict pain on someone, whether it is myself or others. But these urges occur rarely, maybe twice a year, and are much easily dismissed.

I can attest that this drug is a potent treatment that should be carefully administered.

Here is my story on this drug...

Freshman year of high school, I had acne all over my back, neck, and deep cysts over my face. My self confidence hurt, my parents brought me to a dermatologist who prescribed me Accutane. I took it for 5 months, had to get a blood test every month, but during the 5th blood test, the results showed my liver was being damaged by the drug. I was taken off and everything returned to normal. Three years later, during the summer of my senior year I was having more acne problems and insisted that I take the medicine again despite the warnings from my doctor and parents. Everything was fine until a month into the treatment when I started to hear sounds during the night that sounded like someone was talking in the kitchen. After walking through the kitchen I realized no one was there. Puzzled, I returned to sleep. This would continue however as I kept hearing and seeing things that I thought was there, but when I looked closely it was gone. Like a shadow that escaped so quickly you could just see the edge before it disappeared. Slowly, I would have very violent thoughts during the day, like I needed, I urged to hurt someone (myself even), to maim someone.
The urges would not stop, it was a steady whisper to hurt, to just grab a knife and stab someone, so that my urge would be relived.

It finally occurred to me that maybe it wasnt me but the medicine i was taking. The day I realized this I knew I had to stop taking this drug, but I hated the ugly acne on my face and I wanted to not have people look at my acne so I continued anyway. The urges grew worse until I started to attack my mother, and my father restrained me as I fought him, tearing at him with my nails, kicking and punching furiously. My mother gave me some tranquillizer and I slept for a day or two. I received psychiatric treatment after that episode and since graduated high school and now I am in my 4 year of college.

The only lasting effects are the urges to inflict pain on someone, whether it is myself or others. But these urges occur rarely, maybe twice a year, and are much easily dismissed.

I can attest that this drug is a potent treatment that should be carefully administered.

I feel ya...I was on this drug in high school and I subsequently fell into severe depression. My sister (also on the drug in high school), experienced bleeding from her colon. I would never prescribe Accutane.

Took Accutane and now got me some UC maybe I should get some of this bank?

I took 2, 5-month cycles of Accutane. Now, 13 years later, I haven't had acne since, and I had few problems during the treatment (I did have some minor issues which were easily corrected by lowering my dose - hence the every-2-week blood work required during the treatment). I think the cases of adverse effects reported are likely rare. It's important to distinguish between cause and effect and correlation (do we know Accutane CAUSED these problems or aggravated an underlying situation not yet manifested?). However, even if a few, severely negative case studies arise, perhaps the drug should be studied further (?).

My $0.02

This is ridiculous. I did get very depressed on acutane, but it was worth it. I now have no back or chest acne like I used to, and my face stays somewhat clear. My brother took acutane and has not had a pimple in years. Every drug has some side effect.

(do we know Accutane CAUSED these problems or aggravated an underlying situation not yet manifested

Yes, my sister's doctors do know that the Accutane caused my sister's colon problems.

You could argue that for the many cases of Accutane-related depression.

while anecdotes are interesting, this thread troubles me with where it's going. there has been some talk about an isotretinoin/depression link, but the available evidence does not support this association (for ex., see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum).
keep in mind that accutane is a heavily-regulated drug of last resort, now almost exclusively rx'd by dermatologists and requiring patients to pass a quiz prior to starting it. despite accutane's known teratogenicity and other side effects, it is still widely used because it borders on being a "wonder drug" for severe recalcitrant acne. responsible use of accutane involves exhaustion of other treatment options and discussion of the usually-favorable risk/benefit ratio of using it.

while anecdotes are interesting, this thread troubles me with where it's going. there has been some talk about an isotretinoin/depression link, but the available evidence does not support this association (for ex., see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum).
keep in mind that accutane is a heavily-regulated drug of last resort, now almost exclusively rx'd by dermatologists and requiring patients to pass a quiz prior to starting it. despite accutane's known teratogenicity and other side effects, it is still widely used because it borders on being a "wonder drug" for severe recalcitrant acne. responsible use of accutane involves exhaustion of other treatment options and discussion of the usually-favorable risk/benefit ratio of using it.

Agreed. Also, this thread would probably be more appropriate in the Topics in Healthcare forum.

It would be a shame to me if the drug were withdrawn entirely, as for some people with severe acne it is the only thing that works. And don't underestimate how debilitating some forms of acne can be. However, doctors need to use it as a last resort, and with ample warnings of all the possible side effects, as well as with continuous monitoring (which they already do).

I think it may be a bit over-prescribed, at least here in Canada. I never took it, but I know a couple people who went to the derm for their acne and he started writing up the accutane script after looking at the acne for a couple seconds! (One was my cousin, who's acne was far from severe in my opinion). I mean, there are other alternatives to try first. At least for women the oral contraceptive "Diane 35" is quite effective. (Don't know if that's available in the states though).

I'm old enough to remember acne pharmacotherapy before Accutane. These days, it's less commonplace to see people disfigured by large suppurating boils all over their face, or people with significant acne scars. Some of these people looked like they'd been burned.

This thread doesn't need any more anecdotes; however, I took Accutane myself for eight months when I was 23. It was miraculous, and I had no problems despite a strong family hx for affective disorders. It would be a shame if an effective, though potent, agent were withdrawn on the basis of lawsuits and not because of causality assessments.