Organization Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krombopulos Michael

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to share some insights onto these two organizations and their current reputations/positions in the podiatry field in general? I tried searching this on my own and only found articles from 2010 so any more recent information would be great! It seemed to be a pretty derisive issue back then so I'm not sure what exactly to think right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Acfas. That's all you need to know. Not that it's the cat's meow, but there is no point to abps other than some peoe lining their pocket. What isn't that what acfas is doing....well acfas was doing it first

Acfas. That's all you need to know. Not that it's the cat's meow, but there is no point to abps other than some peoe lining their pocket. What isn't that what acfas is doing....well acfas was doing it first

What are your thoughts on ABFAS & ABPM? One better than the other or does it really comes down to doing surgery vs practicing just Pod med only? I believe the place of employment or location also matters?
thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your thoughts on ABFAS & ABPM? One better than the other or does it really comes down to doing surgery vs practicing just Pod med only? I believe the place of employment or location also matters?
thanks
Same thing. Acfas is gold standard. Often times people get abpm asap after graduation so can say board certified when advertising. As has been discussed on here, vast majority of hospital and health systems require ABFAS for board cert. And board cert from them requires acfas. So basically abpm is a stand alone entity. Yes it has its place. But acfas abfas is gold standard and nothing is changing that regardless of their flaws

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Same thing. Acfas is gold standard. Often times people get abpm asap after graduation so can say board certified when advertising. As has been discussed on here, vast majority of hospital and health systems require ABFAS for board cert. And board cert from them requires acfas. So basically abpm is a stand alone entity. Yes it has its place. But acfas abfas is gold standard and nothing is changing that regardless of their flaws

You ding dongs are talking about two different things. ACFAS is a educational organization. ABPM is certifying board. ABFAS and ABPM are analogous in that both are podiatry boards. ACFAS and ASPS are similar in that they are simply educational organizations.

In regards to the OPs question...it doesn't matter. At all. They are educational organizations. They are meaningless in terms of jobs, hospital privileges, insurance contracts, etc. Either the membership dues you pay are worth the services these organizations provide, or they aren't. For ACFAS its the conference and course discounts, CME, marketing materials, patient education materials, and the journal. ASPS is probably (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) part of your APMA dues, but they also offer courses, conferences, CME. I'm not sure about anything else they may offer or provide as part of your membership. You don't have to belong to either. You can belong to one or the other, or both. It doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 users
You ding dongs are talking about two different things. ACFAS is a educational organization. ABPM is certifying board. ABFAS and ABPM are analogous in that both are podiatry boards. ACFAS and ASPS are similar in that they are simply educational organizations.

In regards to the OPs question...it doesn't matter. At all. They are educational organizations. They are meaningless in terms of jobs, hospital privileges, insurance contracts, etc. Either the membership dues you pay are worth the services these organizations provide, or they aren't. For ACFAS its the conference and course discounts, CME, marketing materials, patient education materials, and the journal. ASPS is probably (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) part of your APMA dues, but they also offer courses, conferences, CME. I'm not sure about anything else they may offer or provide as part of your membership. You don't have to belong to either. You can belong to one or the other, or both. It doesn't matter.

Thank you, I can't believe I got the two mixed; fixed it though! :D :yawn:

Reactions: 1 user
I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen job postings where they want to hire a podiatrist “ACFAS board-certified” or “board-certified by the APMA.” If it’s a hospital with their own recruiter, I don’t get too worked up. But when it’s an ad for a small private practice and I’m pretty sure it’s a podiatrist writing it, it drives me crazy. Almost as much as when they want you to be “ABPS-certified”.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.