ACGME/AOA Equivalency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorsambition

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker so this is my first post. I've been hearing a lot about a residency crunch for IMGs and I came across some new information that was just released today and wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I will post the link below:

http://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/portals/0/PDFS/Nasca-Community/SingleAccreditationRelease2-26.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your link is broken.

But, let's say the fully merge. There still aren't that many AOA exclusive programs to start with. And, I'm sure they will still give preference to D.O. graduates because of OMM. So, I wouldn't rely on this as a strategy towards "guaranteeing" yourself a spot.

-Skip

Funny... The link works when I click on it. I'll try to change it....but i got this info from the main SDN allopathic board. Just thought it might be interesting

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling this merger will definitely squeeze out IMG's chances of landing a US residency now...

I have a feeling this merger will definitely squeeze out IMG's chances of landing a US residency now...

This has nothing to do with causing a "squeeze out" of IMG's chances of landing residency.

-Skip

It doesn't change things all that much for IMG's.

On a positive note, IMG's will now (theoretically) be able to apply for AOA residency spots. To do so, you would need to add some additional OMT training if the residency required it. Unclear how that would happen, and whether AOA programs will consider international grads or not. But, I expect we will start seeing ads for "IMG's, come get your OMT training!!!" with a hefty pricetag.

There really isn't a downside here. The number of MD and DO grads remains what it is, and the number of spots remains what it is. Presumably unfilled DO spots will end up in SOAP, a plus for IMG's who might fill them. Overall this opens DO spots to IMG's (theoretically). If AOA programs don't take IMG's, then everything remains the same.

Reactions: 1 user
aProgramDirector,
I was thinking more along those lines. I think it would only help IMGs.