ACGME residency without USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a D.O. student that is VERY interested in doing OB/GYN. There are 2 stipulations to my applying though. 1) I did not take the USMLE nor do I intend to. 2) Due to a medical condition in one of our family members we would really prefer to go back to the west/midwest. Due to these factors I will be participating in only the ACGME match. My stats include an 86% GPA, 518 on COMLEX I, I started the OB/GYN club at my school and have attended national conferences, I am a motivational speaker for our local Teen Parent Program, I mentor pregnant teen moms, and I am currently working as a graduate teaching assistant in physical diagnosis.
What OB/GYN programs accept D.O. students and DO not require the USMLE?
What is the likelyhood of a D.O. student getting into one of their top 3 choices?

Members don't see this ad.

For years I've been trying to hit this message home

DO's do not need to take USMLE

Sure residency programs want you to do this it makes it easy but then its taking 2 tests believe me its no fun!

MOST programs do accept COMLEX you just need to call the programs you are interested in and ask them 2 questions first do you have any DO faculty (write down name) and second do you accept the COMLEX. If the answer to #1 is yes then #2 should be yes as well and if not and you really want to go to that program contact the person who is DO there and they can direct you on the reasoning.

Good luck feel free to PM me on the location you'd like to go as I may be able to give some insight on programs

Diane