ACGME/Vacation Rules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clement

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your residency program approves a vacation day that will count toward your 3-4 weeks per year, can your program make it such that you are expected to be within one hour of the hospital and available by phone?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are no specific rules regarding this other than during your time off you're supposed to be free from clinical duties.

Thus, during vacation residents are not to be taking home call or otherwise be required to attend lectures or other events at the hospital (e.g, same as during the 1 in 7).

It is clearly out of the ordinary for your program to be making such a stipulation as to what you can do with your vacation time.

Last edited:
If your residency program approves a vacation day that will count toward your 3-4 weeks per year, can your program make it such that you are expected to be within one hour of the hospital and available by phone?

Is there an ACGME requirement that you have a vacation in the first place? The only time off that I know they actually guarantee you is the 1 day off in 7.

Is there an ACGME requirement that you have a vacation in the first place? The only time off that I know they actually guarantee you is the 1 day off in 7.

I don't believe that ACGME mandates a vacation; individual boards will mandate the maximum amount of time that can be taken during residency.

ACGME only addresses vacation in terms of calculating duty hours.