acgme vs aoa residency and future employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spectrin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between ACGME and AOA residences in terms of future employment? Will some hospitals/groups not hire you since you did a aoa (osteopathic) residency?

any recruiters out there that wish to comment?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is the difference between ACGME and AOA residences in terms of future employment? Will some hospitals/groups not hire you since you did a aoa (osteopathic) residency?

any recruiters out there that wish to comment?

i think you should try to put this in the public forum as the private forum is restricted to asa members and thus will not have recruiters...

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm also wondering this....

but then again, i think we've got our own answer - some groups will probably always discriminate against DO's, regardless of AOA or ACGME training ( probably less so if acgme trained ) , but noone will come out and say it.

others wont care as long as you're good at your job.

not sure about that. anesthesia is a pretty open minded field in general. fact is if you have trained at a good acgme residency then you are a known entity. i think there is discrimination in the job market against DOs that have not trained at acgme residencies. osteopathic residencies are not as closely regulated as MD anes residencies are. supposedly the DO residency that sends some of their residents to our hospital is one of the better DO residencies. their residents are just plain not as good as ours are, or as i saw elsewhere as a med student rotating at MD residencies. it has been covered many times on this board -- do an MD residency if you can... you will have many more options.... this is not to say you cannot be good or get jobs or fellowships, etc. if you do a DO residency but these are more exceptions to the rule.

I have said it before and I will say it again - an ACGME residency and ABA specialty certification is the gold standard.

At a lot of places it probably doesn't make a hill of beans worth of difference. But there are always gonna be a few where it may make a difference. Whether you choose to believe it or not, DO discrimination (subtle and not so subtle) does exist. It is not very widespread (that I am aware of). This may be inherent in the group itself, hospital credentialing, or recognition of you AOA training itselg.

Caveat emptor.