1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Acheiver Test 1 OCHEM #87 (glycine question)

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by STACM, Jun 15, 2008.

1. STACM

7+ Year Member

On Acheiver Test 1 OCHEM #87 Im confused as to how glycine is soluble if it is known as one of the "hydrophobic" amino acids. So then would all amino acids be soluble in water?

2. TarheelKid24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    As far as I know, all amino acids are soluble in polar solvents because they exist as zwitterions. However, it is the variable R groups that determines how soluble they will be...feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

3. Hugh Mannity

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You may be confused in the aspect that glycine is nonpolar when in a polypeptide. As a single amino acid, the amino group of any single amino acid takes the proton from the carboxyl making is highly polar (called zwitterions like stated above). In a polypeptide it cannot accept anything because both ends become peptide bonds, and the side groups is what you look at for solubility.