1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

achiever-v-kaplan

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by tms86, Aug 12, 2011.

1. tms86

Pre-Dental
    i already took DAT and re-taking oct 4 (7 weeks away) I want to improve my bio and rc sections

i did topscore, chads, datqvault, destroyer, some kaplan, and cliffs.

if i want to do more practice tests should i use kaplan or achiever, i know they both can be tough but what would you recommend?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tmirchel

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I did the Kaplan course and after all the kaplan tests I did achievers. Let me just say they are polar opposites. I would recommend kaplans for closeness. But shelling out 1200 compared to 50 is a big difference and I really would say achiever is super tough. But if you can get 18-20s on achiever bio you will get at least a 20-22 on the real DAT if not higher. Achiever bio had some of the most random questions and a lot of which ones are true about blah blah 1, 2, 2&3, 1&3, all. And I mean at least 10 per test. Drove me crazy.

More kaplan bio scores were 17, 18,20,20,21
    Achiever 3 tests Bio 19, 17,15(day before real DAT great motivation)
    DAT Bio 21

4. buckey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    you really already have what you need for an increase, keep nailing the destroyer and go through chads again and you should see your scores improve. practice tests are good if you are unfamiliar with the format but beyond acclimation and motivation they do not impart that much learning.

5. jec463

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think Kaplan does a great job in their science section reviews/notes/questions (not so much on PATs)... But you already seem to have a fair amount of resources...I think it would be a great idea to re-solve the problems you may have already covered, including the ones you've already gotten correct~

I only used Topscore and Kaplan...and for Bio I averaged about 20 on Topscore and 18 on Kaplan. On the actual exam, I got a 24 in bio... I think the detailed questions provided by Kaplan was a great review/gauge to differentiate between stuff I already knew or things I needed to review/work on...

RC was the toughest/lowest-scoring section for me.. But think the kaplan passages are also more difficult than the actual test passages, so it's a great way to practice (via Kaplan). I averaged about 19 on the Kaplan RC tests and got a 21 on my actual exam

Hope that helps :)