Achthar, monopoly, and price gouging.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neglect

1K Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The lead here is that Mallinckrodt has to pay 100 million to the FTC for forming a monopoly/racket.

I now have 100 million reasons not to prescribe this pig product. This company was Shkreli before Shkreli. They took a pig sweetmeat, that used to be a cheap and boring treatment for infantile spasms, ramped up the price, found a loophole to exploit its use for MS relapses. They found doctors to prescribe it - which I think is borderline unethical for MS given that the company has never bothered to demonstrate safety/efficacy against steroids. And then mostly got very good at getting prior authorization to game the insurance system.

I also blame the insurance system for not stepping up on this. I have to fight to get someone on Gilenya or Tysabri, which actually offers real benefit. But then they allow this nonsense. Disgusting. And what's really repulsive is that 100 million is a drop in the bucket.

Members don't see this ad.