acidic

Started by baedero1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FeCl3 -> Fe (3+) + 3 Cl (-)
and I am thinking Chlorine ion will bond with Hydrogen in water and form HCl

and HCl is an aqeous acidic solution.
 
FeCl3 -> Fe (3+) + 3 Cl (-)
and I am thinking Chlorine ion will bond with Hydrogen in water and form HCl

and HCl is an aqeous acidic solution.

But acidity just had to do with [H] and whether or not the Cl is in solution and "forms HCl" has nothing to do with it because the [H] is still just coming from water.

IMO, and I'm not 100% sure but I think this is right, it actually has to do with the [OH]. When you put FeCl3 in water, it ionizes (I think) so there is Fe3+ and Al3+ floating around in solution. But Fe(OH)3 from what I remember (and Al(OH)3 are both pretty insoluble, and I think they would precipitate out of solution. If that's true, then there is a lower [OH] to serve as a buffer for the [H] in solution, so there's a greater ratio of [H] than [OH] so it's more acidic.

Again, that's my opinion. I'm not 100% by any means, so someone check me on this.
 
But acidity just had to do with [H] and whether or not the Cl is in solution and "forms HCl" has nothing to do with it because the [H] is still just coming from water.

IMO, and I'm not 100% sure but I think this is right, it actually has to do with the [OH]. When you put FeCl3 in water, it ionizes (I think) so there is Fe3+ and Al3+ floating around in solution. But Fe(OH)3 from what I remember (and Al(OH)3 are both pretty insoluble, and I think they would precipitate out of solution. If that's true, then there is a lower [OH] to serve as a buffer for the [H] in solution, so there's a greater ratio of [H] than [OH] so it's more acidic.

Again, that's my opinion. I'm not 100% by any means, so someone check me on this.

Yea nice this is true...FeCl3 does react with water to form Fe(OH)3 which is not soluble so it precipitates therefore no OH- (base) will be in solution, rather H+ ions left over from the water will be in solution making it acidic...this is actually a very good problem thanks for bringing it up...