• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Papi_Chino

Jan 10, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey guys, so Mike mentioned that Hydrogen #1 is the most acidic, however I thought that H #2 was more acidic because of benzene's resonance. Does a benzene + Oxygen beat out having two Oxygens when it comes to resonance stabilizing? Which H more acidic.png

themuffinman11

2+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2017
Not 100% sure, but I think it's because the resonance structures are better with the carbonyl groups (putting a negative charge on a Oxygen, which is electronegative and doesn't mind the charge versus carbons, which isn't as great), also you break aromaticity with resonance going into the ring so those resonance structures I think would be less significant.

Also a general rule of thumb, a hydrogen between 2 ketones is very acidic (close to carboxylic acids)

Reactions: 1 user

JDent99

2+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I don't really know what the purpose of the carboanions are, but assuming they lower pkas we can still follow the rules of any handy pka table. The H-C between the two ketones has a pka of 9-10. The pka of a H-C that is attached to a benzene ring is around 40, and the pka of H-C that can donate to the carbonyl is 19-20. From the pka table, we can see that being in between two ketones would be more acidic than being in between a ketone and a benzene ring.

The more simple way to answer this is to remember that the electronegativity associated with oxygen generally leads to more acidic hydrogens when compared to any conjugated carbon system.

zxe1996

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Resonating between two oxygens is more stable than resonating between a oxygen and a bunch of carbons (benzene) regardless of the fact that you would have more resonance structures with H #2

Classic example:

carboxylate vs phenolate

Phenolate has more resonance but carboxylate is more acidic because the anion is more stable resonating between two oxygens.

About the Ads

Chubz0924

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Not sure if it always applies, but a way my prof taught me was that it is more acidic because it is between two EWG groups

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.