Acidosis increase BP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vandyam

Vulnera Sanentur
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know increased CO2 increases the blood acidity, and the liver breaking down proteins/fat increases it as well, but does this decrease in blood pH (increase in blood acidity), increase blood pressure as well? For some reason I was thinking it did but I can't figure out why or make sense of how it would. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know why you say liver breaking down fat increases acidity/decrease pH. Anyway, I don't see how that would affect blood pressure. I've never had to make that connection from all the questions I did so I would assume you can forget about it.

Actually, if it specifically says breaking down proteins, including albumin, then that would decrease pressure sine albumin is one of the major blood osmoregulators

I say the liver breaking down proteins/fat increases blood pH (acidosis), b/c it does. In fact, in EK it says it several times.

"For the MCAT, you should know that when the liver mobilizes fat or protein for energy, the blood acidity increases."
"When the liver mobilizes fat for energy, it produces acids called ketone bodies. This often results in a condition called keosis, or acidosis."

And thanks for that, I guess I must be remembering it wrong. I thought I was. I knew ADH/Aldosterone/decreased urine output all raised the BP, but for some reason I thought acidosis did too. W/e.

Wow... now I feel unprepared for my MCAT this thursday... I vaguely remember reading that now... haha o well, it's never come up in actual test though. And if it does, it's prob in the passsage...

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, but isn't protein the last to be broken down in a search for energy?

Would we really be breaking down albumin of all proteins for energy? Something we really can't live without, over some skeletal muscle we can live without?

Producing ketones in the blood that weren't there before seems like it would increase BP by raising the osmolarity.

Reactions: 1 user
I say the liver breaking down proteins/fat increases blood pH (acidosis), b/c it does. In fact, in EK it says it several times.

"For the MCAT, you should know that when the liver mobilizes fat or protein for energy, the blood acidity increases."
"When the liver mobilizes fat for energy, it produces acids called ketone bodies. This often results in a condition called keosis, or acidosis."

And thanks for that, I guess I must be remembering it wrong. I thought I was. I knew ADH/Aldosterone/decreased urine output all raised the BP, but for some reason I thought acidosis did too. W/e.

^increase in blood pH corresponds to respiratory or metabolic ALKALOSIS, not acidosis. I have to agree with mitchluker in that if proteins are produced that werent their initially would result in an increase in blood osmolarity, and thus, more water would be reabsorbed in the collecting duct due to ADH, which would increase ADH.

I think ketones are produced when an individual has been either fasting, and thus has an inadequate supply of glucose so the body converts fatty acids into ketone bodies (this could result in death)...or production of ketone bodies is common in people with diabetes since their cells are starved of glucose, despite high blood glucose levels. These individuals suffer from DKA, diabetic ketoacidosis, but I don't recall them having elevated BP as a result of it. I can't really make the link but il look it up.