Acing Kaplan Verbal, But Failing AAMC Verbal! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OceanMachine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I could really use some advice- I am taking the MCAT this Thursday the 28th and I consistently score high on the Kaplan Verbal passages (in the 13-14 range...no joking!) and do almost just as good on the EK Verbal (ranges from 11-13).

But when I take the AAMC Exams the verbal seems to be about a million times more difficult! Here are my scores:

AAMC 6- 12 (this was the only good one.. I felt it was much easier)
AAMC 3- 10
AAMC 8- 10
AAMC 10- 8 =(

AAMC 10 was the most recent one I took as well so I was extremely bummed out about it since I scored a 12 on both PS and BS on that particular exam, so the 8 really bumped my score down a LOT relative to what it could have been if I was scoring as well as I do on Kaplan or EK.

Can someone PLEASE give me some advice? I'm very nervous about this MCAT Thursday and I wish I could pinpoint why I find the AAMC Verbals so much more difficult...is there a significant difference in the way the prep course passages are presented or worded? Also, I should note that I always finish within the allotted 60 minutes with about 10 minutes to spare regardless of whether it is Kaplan, EK or AAMC so the problem is not that the AAMC's are timed whereas the others are self-timed.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Consistently getting 10's on AAMC verbal isn't "failing".

Don't start FREAKING OUT over ONE 8 3 days before your test. GEEZE.

:D

You shouldn't have used Kaplan for verbal, their questions are much too direct and are mostly recall. Anyways, it seems to have helped a little since you're AAMC verbal scores are good enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I agree with above posts getting a 8 once is not very bad, might have been extraneous factors that day that bogged your mind than usual. Although if you want to check what was wrong go over the passages in AAMC 10. Go over it and make sure you had the main gist of the passage right when you took the exam and also go over the questions and check why you got them wrong. Good luck!

You call a "10" to be failing..? 10 is the highest I've ever got.

The problem I seem to be having is that:

when I do kaplan verbal, I FEEL like I am getting everything right. I feel like I am understanding everything and that the questions are being answered very clearly.

But when I mark it, I get so many wrong! I don't understand where I went wrong either.

Although I'll feel really bad, I'll go and do an AAMC test and I'll get majority of it right (except at the END). For AAMC verbal, i consistently find a trend where I get most of my wrongs at the last 2 passages... I think I run out of stamina? SHOOT!

Any tips?