ACL repair?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsP for real

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
So I am taking the MCAT in may but torn my acl last month. Bummer right. So would you all recommend repairing my acl after my mcat and hoping I wont have to hobble in to my interviews or waiting until after my interviews. Let me know what you all think.
Also the sports medicine doc that diagnosed me said I would be at full strength in 6 months. Is this an accurate timeline?

Members don't see this ad.

you should be at full strength within six months if you're using a piece of your own ligament tissue for the repair. then again that's time to full activity. i'd say get the surgery done ASAP after your MCAT and you should be good to go once interview season rolls around.

good luck!

Depends if your hobbling around right now or not.

Interviews will require lots of walking, especially if your flying. Though no one will judge you if your show up in a large brace or even crutches. In fact it might even be a conversation starter!

Best of luck to you, sorry you tore your ACL

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. Here is my very personal experience. I tore both my left and right ACLs (at different times thank god). Granted at the time I was in unbelievable shape and health, but if I were you I would wait until after the MCAT. The surgery itself and the pain killers and recovery after will make you lose several days of studying. Screw that! You want your mind as clear as possible. I know after I originally tore my ACL, I was walking again well before my surgery so that shouldn't be a problem. After my surgery, I would say I spent about 2 weeks on crutches and then was able to walk normally. No hobbling around or anything. So if you get it done right after your MCAT, you should have plenty of time before your interviews to not be hobbling around. Especially because it takes a month for your scores to come out!

I hope this helps :)

Here's some advice from someone who lived what you're going through and is also an orthopaedic surgery resident.I had my ACL reconstructed a month before my Step 1. Trying to study with pain meds on board, as well as taking time out to go to PT, is tough. My Step 1 suffered because I wasn't able to give as good an effort in preparing. You may be Superman, and maybe none of this will affect your MCAT, but are you willing to take that chance?Also, you don't NEED your ACL to walk around. You NEED your ACL for cutting/pivoting sports. I would say put off the ACL until you're done with the MCAT. If you take your MCAT in May when would interviews be? November? December? January? In any case you will be fine for interviews. You should be off crutches in a week. In fact, our post op protocol only requires crutches for comfort. If you can walk and be safe, you don't need them at all. By the time interviews come around you will be set. I doubt anyone will even know you had surgery.Also, 6 months is very doable for return to sports. Our Division 1 athletes go back to sports in that time frame.Hope that answers your questions. Feel free to PM me

I'm no doctor ( yet :p ) but I just recently had a mpfl reconstruction and lateral release. This is a very invasive operation. You'll be walking MUCH sooner than 6 months. In my case, however, I was on crutches for approximately two, and walking after that.

Please don't ask for medical advice on SDN. Your doctor is the best source of information for aiding your decision making.

respectfully, Catalystik: this isn't a thread asking for medical advice. people replying to OP's question are those who have had experience with ACL surgery, and are putting their two cents in about the process.

Mods, please don't close this thread.

Get it fixed per your docs recs.

Don't worry too much about interviews. Even if you still had a boot on or were hobbling - its a good conversation starter. People have done it. They're not going to knock you for a medical problem.

Hey guys.
So I am taking the MCAT in may but torn my acl last month. Bummer right. So would you all recommend repairing my acl after my mcat and hoping I wont have to hobble in to my interviews or waiting until after my interviews. Let me know what you all think.
Also the sports medicine doc that diagnosed me said I would be at full strength in 6 months. Is this an accurate timeline?

yeah i tore mine and still in rehab but i was walking in about 2-3 weeks with a limp though but goes away. Yes 6 months is good timeline but u will be back to your normal life like walking and climbing stairs in about 2 to 3 months

I had surgery in early June and was walking mostly normal by mid-to-late August. You should be fine by the time interviews roll around, so I wouldn't put off the surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.