ACLS and Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zback

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do we need to get ACLS certified? Before 3rd/4th year or wait until residency orientation week?

Members don't see this ad.

here it was right before 3rd year started ...i think most schools operate this way but i'm not 100% sure

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually you need to be BLS certified for your med 3 year.

Residency programs generally do ACLS certification during orientation. As a med student, you can't order the ACLS drugs during a code anyhow. Other certifications (PALS, ATLS, etc.) are also done in orientation or at some key point in residency.

Some med schools will get their med students ACLS certified as well (mine offered it to med4s after the match), but that is variable. Most do not, AFAIK.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5hP4DIBCEE[/YOUTUBE]
You could always learn from this video

When do we need to get ACLS certified? Before 3rd/4th year or wait until residency orientation week?

It is school dependent. Almost every hospital requires that their employees be ACLS certified. So, I am comfortable in saying that you MUST have it done before you start residency (or, if your program allows it, during orientation).

My medical school introduced a requirement for medical students to have ACLS cert in my 4th year. before that, it was not required. I think it had more to do with ER rotations than it did anything else.

My suggestion? Get it done as soon as you can. Its knowledge worth having and doing it now makes it easier to recert later.

You obviously need it for residency. You obviously don't need it for medical school. Where I went it wasn't required at the time but BLS was.

Though, since the initial certification is a two day course, and recertification goes much faster, you probably do yourself a favor to take it during fourth year when you have more free time.

We got BLS certs in 2nd year, gonna get ACLS cert in 4th year (so before residency, which is when it matters).

My school does BLS a few months into 1st year, and ACLS during 3rd year orientation, before we start M3 rotations.