ACLS and peds residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, in the next couple of weeks my school is offering a free ACLS course to graduating 4th years, and if we want to participate we have to sign up in the next couple of days. Is this something I should take before I start intern year, or do most peds residencies not require ACLS and will just train you in PALS when you do orientation? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know you don't need it, having said that if you can get a certification for free I would do it. A lot of the principles taught in ACLS are very much applicable to PALS with dosing being one of the major differences between the two. So if anything it would come in handy when you take actual PALS or if a grandparent who hit the floor in your pt's room went into a vfib arrest and not just vasovagaled :)
Of course if there is a quota on how many students they allow in the course you might want to let adult medicine folks get in first :)

Of course if there is a quota on how many students they allow in the course you might want to let adult medicine folks get in first :)

Yeah that's exactly it, it's something I wouldn't mind knowing, but there are only so many spots open and some of the adult medicine people would really like my spot :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's your call then; on one hand they need it whereas you want it for your own sake; on the other hand I'm pretty sure their training will be paid for by residency just like yours will get you PALS/NRP certified, whereas if you wanted to get ACLS certified for whatever reason you would probably have to do it out of your pocket in the future. You won't have trouble passing PALS so you don't need to take ACLS to prep for it :) But if you really want to know ACLS I'm sure the person who you give up a spot for wouldn't mind lending you their ACLS book

Isn't the adult medicine person getting trained in ACLS in a few weeks anyways (assuming they are a 4th year, too)? So why not take the spot for yourself...might be one of a few chances...and definitely the only free one.

I am a second year Pediatric resident and my program required BLS (it was required for ACLS and PALS) , ACLS, PALS and NRP...So I would say just get it out of the way! And since it is free it doesnt hurt to get it done. You have to get recertified for all of these every 2 years

I did ACLS during my 4th year in a manner much similar to yours, but never recertified afterwards. I've worked at now 4 different hospital/institutions through training and now as an attending in pediatrics and zero required ACLS.

Don't let the "free" part be a huge factor as I imagine any program you go to that requires ACLS will let you as a trainee take it for free.