ACOM vs LECOM-b vs KCUCOM vs EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unacceptable

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I have a few acceptances and a few more interviews. I know you shouldn’t count you chickens before they hatch but I don’t want to make another post later so I’m wondering if you can help me rank the schools I have listed in my title

ACOM

Pros
New facilities
50K tuition includes books, laptop, and IPad
Establishing residencies and good Florida panhandle clinical rotations

Cons
Location for first two years isn’t desirable
No established residency placement trend

LECOM b

Pros
Great COMLEX board scores
We’ll established name in the northeast
Beaches

Cons

PBL
professional dress code (not that big of a deal)
Location. ( within 45 minutes there isn’t much and there is No cell phone reception around the school and they restrict internet )
Consistently changing rotation locations ( LECOM doesn’t pay for guaranteed rotations like other schools)
Bad vibes during interview that they are just a degree farm and don’t care about their students.

KCUCOM

Pros
Well established
In a larger city

Cons
Winters
I don’t know residency placements

EVMS
Pros
Good step scores
Established with local hospital group and level 2 trauma center.
No moving for all 4 years unless electively

Cons
Norfolk isn’t great and CoL is high
Little research opportunity
Expensive

Summary

Ultimately I want to become an emergency physician on the west coast and I’ll do what I need to to get there. I haven’t had much opportunity to do a lot of research into these schools as some others making threads, but I was Hoping to hear some opinions on these schools . I applied to an md school because it’s local and I’m worried umbrella residencies will decrease positions for DOs with increased closures and absorption by allopathic residencies. I have no bias otherwise. I’ve heard a few things like “Go where you feel best and just work hard “ but that didn’t help me choose. I’m more into numbers and odds. Thank you in advance SDN for your ranking

Members don't see this ad.

EVMS>>>>>KCU
Pass on DO now that you have MD acceptance. Pass on the others

Members don't see this ad :)
MD>DO
I dont 100% believe that but residency and life will be kinder to the MD student.
I interviewed at KCU (amazing school) but have decided on DMU if I dont get accepted to instate MD.
Pros here will be strength in cirriculum, which is block/ systems based. Non mandatory attendance and strong COMLEX and USMLE scores.
Cons, cirriculum is high stress most days you have little mandatory things to appear on campus for, and the surrounding area is rough.( not a huge con for me)

Lecom-B for me would be an easy pass and im born and raised FL.
Pros here are low tuition cost and good scores.
Cons are the mandatory attendance and poor 3/4 clinical sites (these are two huge cons)
Lecom-E and SH dont seem to have as many problems.

ACOM seems solid but i am not as familiar and will only list the con of being newer.

Have you been accepted to all three schools?
Some pros and cons are subjective but I would say...
MD>KCU>ACOM>Lecom-B

KCUCOM

Pros
Well established
In a larger city

Cons
Winters
I don’t know residency placements
For your cons:
I'm from FL and it has been kind of nice to get to experience different seasons. The winters aren't supposed to be too terrible here.
Residency placement is generally good, but obviously if you get into the MD school you should pick that one.