ACOM vs. LECOM-Bradenton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdqpdq

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tbh that’s kinda a hard x vs y. I’m almost in the same boat sitch, curious to know, what are you leaning towards?

So I've narrowed my school choice down to 2 schools. Below are my personal pros and cons of each program. Please lmk which school will help me match into my desire specialty while taking into account the pros and cons of each.

My end goal is either internal med with a subspecialty, anesthesiology, OBGYN or general surgery

ACOM - Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine

Pros
*Close to home (about a 1.5hr drive)
*3rd/4th year rotation site at my hometown hospital so I could live at home and save $$$
*Extensive SIM Lab
*Solid match list
*Strong affiliations with local hospital and strong rotation sites
*Good reputation
*Very warm and friendly environment

Cons
*1st/2nd year has 60% required attendance
*Relaxed dress code
*Heard mixed things about 1st/2nd year curriculum as reflected on COMLEX pass rate of around 90-95%
*Tuition is 55K versus LECOM at 33K (but I could save some money by going home for last 2 years for rotations)
*Newer school

LECOM Bradenton - Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pros
*Strong match list, more competitive specialties obtain
*More established GME
*Older program than ACOM
*CHEAP tuition (33K vs 55K for ACOM)
*I was a fan of the PBL learning
*No required attendance
*About 4.5 hrs from home
*Close to my college/friends
*Beach town (I'm from Florida)

Cons
*Seemingly unprofessional staff
*Seemed like a degree farm in a way
*Dress code
*Weak rotation sites for 3rd and 4th year, because LECOM doesn't pay for dedicated sites
*Some students have to move to Erie to complete rotations

-Please let me know your opinion of the 2 schools taking into account pros and cons and my desired end goal of internal med w/ subspecialty, OBGYN, Anesthesia or Gen Surgery.

Overall tuition price would be about the same because I could do my 3rd and 4th-year rotations while living at home at ACOM, but LECOM would still be slightly cheaper.

Thanks in advance
Hey I would stay away from ACOM. We have a professor called Dr. Johnson that is a nightmare. I've been a student for over two decades and I can firmly say that I've never met a professor as bad at explaining things as he is. We're not sure if he has a Broca's lesion or what, but his bad attitude towards the students doesn't help either. We also have a professor called McNarry that barely teaches anything, in fact, he spends a large portion of class time telling the class to "discuss amongst ourselves" and then in the exams, he asks the most difficult questions that he never taught. There are quite a few pretty bad professors, but those two stand amongst the rest as the worst. I will also warn you about the anatomy lab. The practicals are ridiculous. You have to run around the room with another 30 or 40 students simultaneously looking at 30+ cadavers and if the station you want to answer is controversial, you will find yourself making lines and wasting time, ultimately running out of time. As for the "friendliness", I guess if you're like half the premeds I remember and you're a good old snitch, double faced snake you will fit right in. However, if you're real, you're going to have issues fitting in. They also have 60% optional attendance that you have to meet, on top of the mandatory lectures. You will find yourself doing a 3 hour FMH lecture about the importance of sleep at 7 in the morning a couple of days before a 30 lecture exam.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. Perhaps the things that I and other people find tough to deal with may be easier for you but I do wish someone would have told me these things. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Once you get past the shady/unprofessional admin and the creepy clown hallway, I would pick lecom

Reactions: 1 user
LECOM- stronger match list into competitive specialities and more well established, but the clinical rotations are a weak point for LECOM-B

So Acom is increasing the class size to over 200 this coming year. That worries me a bit?!
I think what should really worry you is that we have a faculty member, Eric Johnson, who appears to have a Broca's lesion. The worst part won't be how badly he explains the material, but that his questions will actually be the most difficulty. Class size doesn't really matter, we all get plenty of attention if you need help. For example, free tutors, review sessions, etc

Once you get past the shady/unprofessional admin and the creepy clown hallway, I would pick lecom
I think administration will always be unprofessional. That's how life works, **** always rolls downhill. Those in power will always hold others to a higher standard than they hold themselves, that's just basic human nature in all organizations

So Acom is increasing the class size to over 200 this coming year. That worries me a bit?!
We had 192 students this year, although they failed a good 12 students who will be repeating the whole year. ACOM needs to fail students so they can have more students per semester, COCA allows a 10% size increase from repeating students that they wouldn't otherwise allow.

Hey I would stay away from ACOM. We have a professor called Dr. Johnson that is a nightmare. I've been a student for over two decades and I can firmly say that I've never met a professor as bad at explaining things as he is. We're not sure if he has a Broca's lesion or what, but his bad attitude towards the students doesn't help either. We also have a professor called McNarry that barely teaches anything, in fact, he spends a large portion of class time telling the class to "discuss amongst ourselves" and then in the exams, he asks the most difficult questions that he never taught. There are quite a few pretty bad professors, but those two stand amongst the rest as the worst. I will also warn you about the anatomy lab. The practicals are ridiculous. You have to run around the room with another 30 or 40 students simultaneously looking at 30+ cadavers and if the station you want to answer is controversial, you will find yourself making lines and wasting time, ultimately running out of time. As for the "friendliness", I guess if you're like half the premeds I remember and you're a good old snitch, double faced snake you will fit right in. However, if you're real, you're going to have issues fitting in. They also have 60% optional attendance that you have to meet, on top of the mandatory lectures. You will find yourself doing a 3 hour FMH lecture about the importance of sleep at 7 in the morning a couple of days before a 30 lecture exam.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. Perhaps the things that I and other people find tough to deal with may be easier for you but I do wish someone would have told me these things. Good luck!
You're the first person I've seen on here talk negatively about ACOM lol. Interesting...What do you think about Nova?

Last edited:
I’m in a very similar situation. Also from Florida (Panama City) and also narrowed it down to these two schools. I’m curious as to what you chose and why?