ACOM vs NSUCOM Davie Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealOGDoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I have a decision to make between these two DO schools, and was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the two schools. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Make a list of your pros/cons for each school so we can get a better picture.

Reactions: 1 user
NSU-KPCOM

Pros:
-Amazing location. Great rotations and a plethora of opportunities being that it is in Ft. Lauderdale.
-Great student vibe
-Good match list

Cons:
-Poor board scores. Have been declining lately but Dean mentioned they revamped the curriculum and have started to use COMSAE.

ACOM

Pros:
-Decent board scores
-Good connections within the community

Cons:
-Not a great location with weaker rotations than NSU
-Match list isn't as good as NSU-KPCOM

Basically the only red flag for NSU-KPCOM is the board scores. Was wondering what SDN's thoughts were. Thanks!

I wouldn’t call Nova’s match great. Tons of transitional years and why are they hiding current board pass data? I would still go with where you think you will be more likely to succeed

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean you went to the interview this year like I did. They are pretty much changing EVERYTHING to make it more about the boards. The curriculum is being changed to be like the boards, they are offering additional resources ETC. They must have mentioned the word boards like 50 times during my interview day. And TBH at the end of the day yes your board scores are influenced by what you learn at the school but at the end of the day they are on you and how hard you work for it.

I
I mean you went to the interview this year like I did. They are pretty much changing EVERYTHING to make it more about the boards. The curriculum is being changed to be like the boards, they are offering additional resources ETC. They must have mentioned the word boards like 50 times during my interview day. And TBH at the end of the day yes your board scores are influenced by what you learn at the school but at the end of the day they are on you and how hard you work for it.
From what you have said in your list it seems like you like the school alot better. If board scores are the only thing you are worried about then start reviewing zanki the moment you get there! I would argue that based on rotation strength alone NSU >> ACOM

I

From what you have said in your list it seems like you like the school alot better. If board scores are the only thing you are worried about then start reviewing zanki the moment you get there! I would argue that based on rotation strength alone NSU >> ACOM
Can I ask why you say NSU >> ACOM?

ACOM was established by AMEC and therefore has a near-monopoly of sites in Alabama to rotate (minus Birmingham's) and give you 8 electives in MS4.

Can I ask why you say NSU >> ACOM?

ACOM was established by AMEC and therefore has a near-monopoly of sites in Alabama to rotate (minus Birmingham's) and give you 8 electives in MS4.
I am just saying based on rotations sites alone-- the strength of broward and miami dade county hospital experiences >> than what Alabama has to offer. Thats all I was commenting on.

I am just saying based on rotations sites alone-- the strength of broward and miami dade county hospital experiences >> than what Alabama has to offer. Thats all I was commenting on.

I will say that although the chance to rotate in the Broward/Miami-Dade hospital system is what initially attracted me to the school, but it's not a guarantee that you'll be assigned there. I appreciated that my student guide during the interview was quite upfront with us and told us that not everyone is able to to get those slots, especially because they are sought after by mostly everyone in the class due to their great reputation. Just wanted to mention that the chance to rotate here is a giant "what-if" for the OP and contingent on class rank/how the lottery plays out/other factors, and because of its variability shouldn't be the main choice driving-factor

I will say that although the chance to rotate in the Broward/Miami-Dade hospital system is what initially attracted me to the school, but it's not a guarantee that you'll be assigned there. I appreciated that my student guide during the interview was quite upfront with us and told us that not everyone is able to to get those slots, especially because they are sought after by mostly everyone in the class due to their great reputation. Just wanted to mention that the chance to rotate here is a giant "what-if" for the OP and contingent on class rank/how the lottery plays out/other factors, and because of its variability shouldn't be the main choice driving-factor

Agree to disagree !! I also spoke to students and they said they got almost all of the spots they wanted!! It’s by speciality too, so you can rank the specialities you want at the better hospitals.

It sounds like you are leaning more towards NSU. I don't think one school is exceptionally better than the other. It is good that the dean is at least addressing the issue they have been having with board scores. I feel like board scores lay more on the individual than the school, but that is just my opinion. I'd probably go with NSU over ACOM.

It sounds like you are leaning more towards NSU. I don't think one school is exceptionally better than the other. It is good that the dean is at least addressing the issue they have been having with board scores. I feel like board scores lay more on the individual than the school, but that is just my opinion. I'd probably go with NSU over ACOM.
They also just posted their board score pass rates for the past two years and they are back up in the low 90s

NSU-KPCOM

Pros:
-Amazing location. Great rotations and a plethora of opportunities being that it is in Ft. Lauderdale.
-Great student vibe
-Good match list

Cons:
-Poor board scores. Have been declining lately but Dean mentioned they revamped the curriculum and have started to use COMSAE.

ACOM

Pros:
-Decent board scores
-Good connections within the community

Cons:
-Not a great location with weaker rotations than NSU
-Match list isn't as good as NSU-KPCOM

Basically the only red flag for NSU-KPCOM is the board scores. Was wondering what SDN's thoughts were. Thanks!
So which one did you choose? I am interested to know as well!

Me too! I am trying to decide between NSU KPCOM's Tampa campus vs Arkansas College of osteopathic medicine and I am having a hard time making my decision.
All ask u this. Do u wanna be in the middle of nowhere or 20 minutes from a beach and 40 minutes from miami?

Me too! I am trying to decide between NSU KPCOM's Tampa campus vs Arkansas College of osteopathic medicine and I am having a hard time making my decision.

I had an acceptance to both ARCOM and NSUKPCOM, and put a deposit down for NSU cuz it's an older school.

ARCOM:
- newer and thus doesn't have the board scores make decisions from
- impressed with the facilities offered there, but I coudn't see myself thriving in the Fort Smith since I'm from Los Angeles
- not accredited yet, but I don't see any problems at all regarding accreditation
- rotations sites more spread out and likely rural areas
- I think ARCOM is going to be a good school especially with the upcoming expansion of the i think nursing or PA school but it probably wont be noticed till like 10 years in the future.

NSUKPCOM
- concerning board scores
- good location
- more money so more resources
- subjective but better city location

everything was listed on the top of my head.. so take it what you will.

I had an acceptance to both ARCOM and NSUKPCOM, and put a deposit down for NSU cuz it's an older school.

ARCOM:
- newer and thus doesn't have the board scores make decisions from
- impressed with the facilities offered there, but I coudn't see myself thriving in the Fort Smith since I'm from Los Angeles
- not accredited yet, but I don't see any problems at all regarding accreditation
- rotations sites more spread out and likely rural areas
- I think ARCOM is going to be a good school especially with the upcoming expansion of the i think nursing or PA school but it probably wont be noticed till like 10 years in the future.

NSUKPCOM
- concerning board scores
- good location
- more money so more resources
- subjective but better city location

everything was listed on the top of my head.. so take it what you will.

gotcha, thank you very much for the info! Do you think the fact I’m accepted into the Tampa campus makes any difference in these factors? Like do you think being on the new campus could have issues if it’s own?

Well I think you will def have less resources in terms of the connections and the research available. I was accepted into the Clearwater campus as well, and tbh that is the main hindrance from going there.

gotcha, thank you very much for the info! Do you think the fact I’m accepted into the Tampa campus makes any difference in these factors? Like do you think being on the new campus could have issues if it’s own?

I heard Clearwater is one of the most popular places for vacationing in Florida. In addition, during the interview they made it a point that Clearwater campus has to have the exact same curriculum as the Davie campus. So i wouldn't worry about the board scores in that aspect nor the learning style. However, the clearwater campus does lack research opportunities compared to Davie and Davie I heard doesn't have much research to begin with.

Depends on what type of person you are, but location is pretty big for me. You are going to be doing rotations in the local area and I'd rather be in a more populous city.