ACOM vs VCOM-Auburn

Started by tenaccept
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tenaccept

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
VCOM-Auburn

Pros:
closer to family (2hrs)
I liked the area when I visited
Nice campus and Resources
tuition cost is less
COL is low

Cons:
no affiliated hospital (not sure how much that matters)
no specific % of match rates in each specialty
frequent exams

ACOM:

Pros:
Better reputation for better rotation sites in bigger cities
affiliated hospital
better surgical match rates
fewer exams per month

Cons:
farther from family (3.5 hrs)
smaller town
more tuition cost (36K more per 4 years)
haven't visited campus

I am interested in pursuing surgery but don't want to make my entire decision based on a field I have very little exposure to. Any input from current or former students or advisors would be much appreciated.
 
Either school would be fine. Paying 9k more per year is not a significant difference if you value better rotation sites. Frequent exams can keep you better on track though.