VCOM-Aub vs ACOMvs KPCOM vs TUNCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anon901904

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Grateful to have been accepted to multiple schools, hoping to hear back from more soon, but first round of deposits coming up. I am very interested in pursuing academic IM /Meds-Peds to focus on a career in endocrinology and autoimmune diseases. With my personal connection, I do not see this changing very much, but will be open to new experiences in medical school.


School ACOM
Pros
  • Good match results, board rates
  • Provided most board prep resources from school
  • affiliated hospital
  • NBOME exams
  • Rotation sites seem less stressful yr 4
Cons
  • middle of nowhere, I have always lived in the city
  • middle price tier
  • Graded

School Vcom- Auburn
Pros
  • Medium city, would feel happy with the surrounding areas
  • cheapest school
  • most observable family student community feel from interview
  • Solid match and boards
  • Auburn U connection
Cons
  • provides least board prep resources
  • Graded
  • mandatory lectures (though I have been told you can just show up and work on something else) and weekly exams
  • Campus not open 24 hours
  • Not sure about year 4 rotations
School KPCOM
Pros
  • Best areas would be happy in clearwater or Ft. Laud
  • Good match results
  • Provides middle amount of resources
Cons
  • no cadaver lab
  • most expensive school and COL
  • Graded, harsh policies
  • concerns with admin, I have a chronic disease that may require accommodations
  • Heard year 4 rotation difficulties
School TUNCOM
Pros
  • Pass fail
  • Area that I like, suburb of LV
  • established and good match
  • provides board prep resources
  • liked the dean but apparently he is interim
  • Rotation sites can all be done In NEV
Cons
  • furthest from family
  • no clinical exp until yr 3
  • did not get to tour school as planned due to building damage
  • not truest pass fail (H/HP/P/F)
Summary: Still hoping for more interviews, yet to hear from more Osteopathic and Allopathic schools as a mid stat applicant.