ACRO Mentorship Program for Medical Students at ASTRO 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACRO_Mentorship

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My name is Steve Engel, and I am am the committee chair for the mentorship program of ACRO. I wanted to share a bit about our mentorship program for medical students interested in Radiation Oncology. This is an opportunity for you to meet with a radiation oncology resident at ASTRO 2017 in San Diego for those of you planning to attend.

ACRO’s mentorship program provides a unique opportunity for residents and medical students from around the country to be matched together for a meeting at the annual ASTRO conference. A link to the survey to sign up is below. These questionnaires helps our team better understand each individual’s personal interests and goals in a mentorship relationship. Based on these responses, mentors and mentees may be paired based on any number of commonalities – disease site, treatment techniques, geography, or any other shared passion. Once assigned, we will facilitate arranging a one-on-one meeting between resident mentors and medical students at the upcoming annual ASTRO conference in San Diego, California from September 24-27. We believe these relationships are mutually beneficial. It grants a unique opportunity to ask a resident who was recently in your shoes about research, externships, applications, and whatever else you are interested in.

Thank you very much!

Link for medical students: ACRO Medical Student Mentorship Program - Get a Mentor

Sincerely,
Steve Engel, MD
PGY4 in Radiation Oncology at the University of Miami
Mentorship Resident Committee Chair for ACRO
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think questions 14-17 are a bit premature. (and you forgot to update the year on top)

Seems like this is posted every year and despite filling it out several times, I’ve never gotten connected with a mentor. What gives?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same issue. Filled out the form with all my information and didn't hear from anyone. Maybe they just want to mentor the students from there own institution and leave the rest to fend for themselves. At any rate, the advice I got as a student wasn't anything earth shattering anyway, not sure what more I would have gotten out of additional mentoring.