Acronym Madness!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

goldennugget74

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Right when I think I have it all figured out, I read something new and become confused again.

MFT, MSW, LCSW, PHD, PsyD, MA in Counseling Psych, School Psych, and countless others...........aaaaaaahhhhhhh!

So, I'm going to get really specific:

I am currently a Special education Teacher in LAUSD. I just finished my Masters at CSUDH after attending off and on for years. (I also have a BA in Film from USC.) I've been a teacher for 8 years, working primarily with students with disabilities such as Autism. It's been an incredible journey, but I'm burnt out and cannot imagine doing something this physically taxing for 20+ years. (I will be 36 in February).

In considering the future, I know I want to do something psychology related. It is one of my passions, a subject to which I turn to in my free time. The consensus seems to be that the MSW is a more versatile and employable degree than a MFT. However, in reviewing potential coursework, the classes for the MFT seem to align more with my interests. Additionally, I would consider a PHD or a PsyD in the future and while I am pretty settled in Los Angeles at the moment, I wouldn't rule out a move out of state at some point.

My ultimate dream at the moment would be to have a private practice working with individuals, couples, groups, and children, but I've heard that the days of making a living doing private practice are over.

Basically, I want to follow my passions and yet be realistic at the same time. I don't need or expect to be loaded or even necessarily own a home in L.A., but I also don't want to have to struggle or face the prospects of no job. I make a decent living as a teacher and there are obvious perks, but it is also draining. Working with individuals with severe disabilities requires incredible patience. The progress can be so slow and the behaviors can be so extreme.

Sorry to drop such a looooong post on you all, but this seems to be the most helpful sight I've found.

1.) Does anyone have any feedback on whether Antioch or Phillips are reputable? (I just noticed that Phillips is on probation).
2.) I am a bit disillusioned with the school system at the moment, but is school psychology a better guarantee for a decent salary and job outlook than other degrees?
3.) Is the MFT a misstep if I am considering a PHD or PsyD in the future?

Thanks again!
 
Last edited:
Hi i dont know much abt america but i think the best is to go and a diploma in basic counsiling u know like aids counceling and truama etc it wil take a year training or so :luck:
 
rember i am talking from a south african point of view am not sure abt american health sistem