ACS exam in organic chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SN3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the ACS exam in a couple weeks and I was wondering how I should go about studying for it. I purchased "the official guide" and a few students who took it last year said that is the only thing they studied but my professor said we should redo the worksheets she makes for us so I am not sure what to do. How is the study guide meant to be used? Am i supposed to work through it to realize what I do not remember and then study more about those concepts in the textbook or is the information in the study guide all that I need? If there are reactions that I know that are not in the study guide, would they possibly be on the exam? How much information on the exam is not in the study guide? How similar is the ACS exam to the study guide? Should I study extra questions out of the textbook or is using the study guide enough?
Thank you for any advice you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am just a caveman, but what is the ACS exam? Your exams confuse me...

Its a standardized test put out by the American Chemical Society. They have a few different subjects. Anyways, some Colleges and Universities have started using them as finals or to see how their curriculum is being retained by their students (assuming their curriculum covers the exam material). It has nothing to do with just about anything you'd find on studentdoctor...let alone podiatry.

You're right. It doesn't really have anything to do with podiatry. However since this is the pre-pod forum I assumed that some pre-pod students might have taken this exam and therefore would be able to answer some questions I have. I searched for the ACS exam in organic on SDN and all I came up with was a bunch of old posts on the pre-MD or DO pages that said things like "it's easy" which doesn't answer any of my questions. People post things all the time like "should I retake a class" so I didn't think questions about classes were too irrelevant. Since this is a national exam I thought I could get some answers from people who have had to take it.

The O Chem. isn't nearly as bad as the Gen. Chem.,if you have taken that one. Just my opinion.

hahaha

airbud, the unfrozen caveman lawyer reference made my day.

Hey OP,

I took it last year and I found using the ACS review book helped a lot. It contains a good bit of examples to remind yourself of important mechanisms and whatnot. Also, review all the basics of each functional group again and know where different things would "attack". Good luck!

The Study Guide is the only way to prepare ... I just took it and quite honestly as long as you go through the Study guide a couple of times - you'll be fine!