ACS GenChem & OChem Guides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who used ACS GC & OC to study, about how long did it take you to go through the two guides?

Members don't see this ad.

i only have the ACS gen chem guide. it has 10 or 11 chapters, 30 questions from each chapter i think. i've gone through it twice. the first time was before i did any reviewing and it probably took a week (2 chapters per day). the second time i went through it pretty quick..maybe 4 chapters a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
My Organic Chemistry II final is the ACS exam. Has anyone used the study guide before taking the ACS exam and if so how helpful was it in preparing for their exam?

both are kind of overkill
especially ochem

but its best to be overprepared

i went through both guides and i found them helpful

How is ACS compare to DAT Destoryer which has both Gen Chem, Orgo and others?

How is ACS Organic section compare to Orgoman's Oraganic Chem Odyssey?

I would say ACS covers a span of topics,
while destroyer displays very specific questions

I did both to prepare for the test, but my mistake was memorizing too much of ochem and not understanding the basics

do both to get the concepts down

Can someone please tell me what ACS stands for? I've reading a lot about it but not quite sure what it stands for.

thanks undergradguy7! what is the difference between the gen chem acs guide and the physical chem acs guide?

thanks undergradguy7! what is the difference between the gen chem acs guide and the physical chem acs guide?

I would assume physical chemistry is a upper level chemistry class like 300-400 level. It talks about thermodynamics/kinetics etc in a lot of detail/concepts. Talk about real gases etc. Probably calculus involved in deriving the equations.

You want the general chemistry guide and the organic chemistry. Not the physical chemistry for the dat.