ACS ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sir Buckethead

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the ACS organic chem test and I did pretty well. 63/70 which is allegedly in the 98th percentile but that sounds inflated to me. I'm guessing low nineties.

Now, I got a 3.7 first quarter and a 4.0 the last two quarters of ochem so my grade is solid, but I was thinking maybe because I took it at a community college it might help to somehow work that ACS score onto my application to show that I actually had to work for my 4s. Is there an option to enter this sort of thing or should I go with plan b, where I get my ochem prof to write an LOR and have them mention it.

Also, anyone else just take it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took the ACS organic chem test and I did pretty well. 63/70 which is allegedly in the 98th percentile but that sounds inflated to me. I'm guessing low nineties.

Now, I got a 3.7 first quarter and a 4.0 the last two quarters of ochem so my grade is solid, but I was thinking maybe because I took it at a community college it might help to somehow work that ACS score onto my application to show that I actually had to work for my 4s. Is there an option to enter this sort of thing or should I go with plan b, where I get my ochem prof to write an LOR and have them mention it.

Also, anyone else just take it?

No. You shouldn't have to worry about taking classes at a community college unless your GPA at your main undergrad is a bit low (lower than 3.5). Other than that, an A is an A.

Yeah... thats kind of the thing. The reason I'm at CC is because I failed out of my main undergrad (I'm heading back next fall). my cumulative gpa still sits at about a 2.4. Thats why I'm concerned about this. I'm not just your average hyperworried premed: kicking ochems ass was a major part of my recovery plan, and now that its ass is sufficiently kicked I want to make sure I take its name too.

But if you still think I should chill then I will take your word for it.

The GPA is kind of rough, but you already know that. I would keep that prof as a letter of recommendation, and go back to destroying undergrad.