ACSM Personal training certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverlearner02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How advantageous do you think having a personal training certification will be? I am looking to get ACSM certified before my junior year of undergrad. Hoping it will look good for PT schools but anyone have any input as to whether it'll actually be useful/beneficial in any way?

I've seen a few posts about this however they are quite dated so I thought I'd ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Not that great of help, but it can get you a job as a personal trainer which gets you more comfortable with 1-on-1 settings, makes you more social, gives you work experience, and also it's a flexible decent-paying job through school. I have my ACSM-CPT, CSCS, and USAW, and I wouldn't say any of those helped me directly in the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe that that certification would help. That being said, I don't believe that it would hurt either.

Agree, it won't help much.. I was a NASM personal trainer...the only thing that it really helped me with was the exercise design portion of our curriculum (i was used to modifying exercises or working with people and coaching exercises) I don't think it really helped on my application nor do I think it will make that much difference when I look for a job.

Unlikely that it would change your chances of acceptance to PT school in either direction.