ACT score in correlation to OAT

PreOptMegs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what your ACT score was and what your ACT score was. I have been told they were correlated, but just wondering your thoughts. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, the idea of a correlation is melarkey. I didn't do all to well on the ACT (25) but made a 350 on the OAT. The highest I got on the reading for the ACT was a 22, but scored a 380 on the OAT reading section. Now maybe the reason I didn't do so well on the ACT was due to a lack of concentration and it could be that I do actually concentrate better now, but I doubt that was the case for everybody. As for the other sections of the OAT, the science and physics sections aren't applicable. The quantative section I don't believe has more difficult material in the OAT than in the ACT, but it's harder because you don't have much time or a calculator, but you don't really need a calculator if you know shortcuts and estimate well, you can practice this and get better at it. What I did for the OAT reading that I don't think could be done for the ACT was to not even read the passage. I'd just read the question and find the answer in the passage. It kept me from daydreaming :D and I finished before time was up.
To sum it up, I think one can perform well on the OAT even if they didn't on the ACT.

luvthemhogs said:
In my experience, the idea of a correlation is melarkey. I didn't do all to well on the ACT (25) but made a 350 on the OAT. The highest I got on the reading for the ACT was a 22, but scored a 380 on the OAT reading section. Now maybe the reason I didn't do so well on the ACT was due to a lack of concentration and it could be that I do actually concentrate better now, but I doubt that was the case for everybody. As for the other sections of the OAT, the science and physics sections aren't applicable. The quantative section I don't believe has more difficult material in the OAT than in the ACT, but it's harder because you don't have much time or a calculator, but you don't really need a calculator if you know shortcuts and estimate well, you can practice this and get better at it. What I did for the OAT reading that I don't think could be done for the ACT was to not even read the passage. I'd just read the question and find the answer in the passage. It kept me from daydreaming :D and I finished before time was up.
To sum it up, I think one can perform well on the OAT even if they didn't on the ACT.

Thank you so much for your honesty. Actually, I got a 25 on the ACT as well and my pre-opt advisor basically said that I would have to study harder than other people just for the fact my ACT score is lower than theirs. I am so frustrated by this. I am making straight A's in school (yeah hard work is a lot of it, but I am no dummy). My friend (who scored a 29 on the ACT) has slept through every single physics and chemistry lecture this semester and isn't doing nearly as well in school as I am this year (I have set the curve on each of the chemistry tests we have taken). My friend hinted to me that he was going to get "a 380" on the OAT and receive a full scholarship to UMSL's optometry school because he was going to show up for the OAT and do well (I will add that he said I would PROBABLY make it in next year as well!!!!). I am going to work my butt off and prepare to try to beat him. It just is rediciulous that he thinks he is going to do so much better than me just because of his ACT score. Thank you again and I will step down from my soap box now!!!

Megan

PreOptMegs said:
I am going to work my butt off and prepare to try to beat him. It just is rediciulous that he thinks he is going to do so much better than me just because of his ACT score.

Megan

Good luck on laying a beating on your friend :thumbup: :laugh: :thumbup: !!!

I think that pretty much anyone can do well on a standardized test with enough effort.

BUT....I also firmly believe that some people do have a knack for standardized testing, and often they do not have to work particularily hard to get very high marks. Testing in classes doesn't always correlate to standardized test marks, because the testing format is so different. The tests you are doing so well on say that you know the material pretty darn well, but recalling it on a standardized test is different. It's such a smorgasboard of concepts, that you need to be able to remember a good bit of everything, whereas in a college exam you are covering a much narrower list of topics.

Like I said, some people can just destroy standardized tests without studying or much effort (ucbsowarrior, ppa93, and myself among others), but everyone CAN do really well on them if they put in the effort.

BUT...after all that, the difference between a 25 and a 29 on the ACT is not really that much, both are pretty good scores. Your extra effort should allow you to just beat the crap out of this other guy. Especially because if your friend was one of the few people who can "just show up" and demolish a standardized test, he would have probably gotten a better score than a 29 on the ACT. (not that 29 is bad but I don't think it's even in the top 10%, where a 380 is in the top 2%)

I like being good at standardized tests, but I hate people who think that because they do well on them that they are automatically better than others. (Or going to be better doctors :thumbdown: )

I really hope you put a beating on your arrogant friend. :thumbup: :D

(Btw 33 ACT 1510 SAT 34 MCAT and 370 TS and 370AA OAT, only studied somewhat for the MCAT)

Members don't see this ad :)
Badger150 said:
Good luck on laying a beating on your friend :thumbup: :laugh: :thumbup: !!!

I think that pretty much anyone can do well on a standardized test with enough effort.

BUT....I also firmly believe that some people do have a knack for standardized testing, and often they do not have to work particularily hard to get very high marks. Testing in classes doesn't always correlate to standardized test marks, because the testing format is so different. The tests you are doing so well on say that you know the material pretty darn well, but recalling it on a standardized test is different. It's such a smorgasboard of concepts, that you need to be able to remember a good bit of everything, whereas in a college exam you are covering a much narrower list of topics.

Like I said, some people can just destroy standardized tests without studying or much effort (ucbsowarrior, ppa93, and myself among others), but everyone CAN do really well on them if they put in the effort.

BUT...after all that, the difference between a 25 and a 29 on the ACT is not really that much, both are pretty good scores. Your extra effort should allow you to just beat the crap out of this other guy. Especially because if your friend was one of the few people who can "just show up" and demolish a standardized test, he would have probably gotten a better score than a 29 on the ACT. (not that 29 is bad but I don't think it's even in the top 10%, where a 380 is in the top 2%)

I like being good at standardized tests, but I hate people who think that because they do well on them that they are automatically better than others. (Or going to be better doctors :thumbdown: )

I really hope you put a beating on your arrogant friend. :thumbup: :D

(Btw 33 ACT 1510 SAT 34 MCAT and 370 TS and 370AA OAT, only studied somewhat for the MCAT)

Your scores are incredibly impressive!! Are you in Optometry School now? If so, what persuaded you into Optometry from Medical school? Thanks for replying and I am definately going to beat him on the OAT!!

PreOptMegs said:
Your scores are incredibly impressive!! Are you in Optometry School now? If so, what persuaded you into Optometry from Medical school? Thanks for replying and I am definately going to beat him on the OAT!!

A. Not in Optom yet, just got a call from SCO today, probably a good thing, but I was in class and the message they left was a little vauge!??! so we'll see.

B. Ah, the $64000 question. I am 98% set on optom now because of the lifestyle differences. I think I'd really rather not be in a cutthroat medschool for 4yrs then a long scutwork filled residency, then possibly a fellowship etc. I wouldn't feel like I could have a family untill late in residency or after, and so that was a big factor for me. Both provide a great patient care career, so I would enjoy doing either one, just not as bad to go from point A-->point B to get to that point as an OD. (yeah yeah, plz nobody flame me and tell me OD school is tough too, I know that, I just think the environment is more I help you, you help me.)

***Although I still have one more med school interview at the end of the month at Albany Med college, and if they knock my socks off I could still end up going MD vs. OD***